1 Replies, 211 Views

Old 04-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Man Of Steel, Belted: 'Action Comics #1000' And The Return Of A Super-Accessory

Super-Belt! NPR has the story.

Quote:
It's not about the numbering.

You'll be hearing a lot this week about the publishing milestone DC Comics' Action Comics has achieved, with the publication of issue #1000, on shelves (physical and digital) today. And I don't mean to dismiss that achievement, believe me. It's 2018, and periodical publishing is a lot like the Man of Steel in the penultimate panel of 1992's "Death of Superman" storyline: Beaten to a bloody pulp and hovering at death's door.

(This metaphor has been arrested before it devolves into theorizing about which developments in the marketplace could prove the allegorical equivalent of that storyline's life-saving Kryptonian regeneration matrix. I'm also sparing you my whole thing about how comics publishing just needs to transform itself, figuratively speaking, into a cyborg, a clone, an alien and an armored dude with a techno-sledgehammer, because this is only paragraph three and I don't want to lose the Normals yet. Buy me a beer sometime, if you're curious.)

The arithmetically inclined among you may have already divined the reason we need to slap a healthy asterisk or two — and maybe a spoonful of salt, while we're at it — on that 1000 numbering. If Superman's been around for 80 years, then the monthly comic in which he debuted, if it's been continually published, should only be arriving at issue #960 or so. What gives?

The Short answer: Comics, is what gives. And takes, and takes and takes.
Read on.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #2
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Good lord. Finally. How many years did it take them to get back to the design that nobody had a problem with and that everyone wanted to return? Like 10?
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:49 AM   #3
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

I never really had a problem with them trying to modernize a costume that was based on circus costumes we haven't seen for around a century. The problem was the simple fact they never really found anything that felt like a suitable replacement. I didn't mind the New 52 version of the costume, but something always felt a little off.

The only problem I have with going back to the old costume is that it's simply one more example of how everything in US comics is about returning to the status quo and ensuring no lasting changes ever really, truly stay in place. The fanbase as a whole doesn't like lasting change and lashes out - to one degree or another - when it seemingly does happen. Now, I certainly don't like or agree with all of the changes that have been made over the past few years and I don't mind seeing many of them get rolled back...but it'd be nice to see some of the major stuff stick. I know it never will because these stories aren't designed to have an ending...but still.

I don't mind seeing the old, classic Superman costume make a return, though.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
I never really had a problem with them trying to modernize a costume that was based on circus costumes we haven't seen for around a century. The problem was the simple fact they never really found anything that felt like a suitable replacement. I didn't mind the New 52 version of the costume, but something always felt a little off.

The only problem I have with going back to the old costume is that it's simply one more example of how everything in US comics is about returning to the status quo and ensuring no lasting changes ever really, truly stay in place. The fanbase as a whole doesn't like lasting change and lashes out - to one degree or another - when it seemingly does happen. Now, I certainly don't like or agree with all of the changes that have been made over the past few years and I don't mind seeing many of them get rolled back...but it'd be nice to see some of the major stuff stick. I know it never will because these stories aren't designed to have an ending...but still.

I don't mind seeing the old, classic Superman costume make a return, though.
I would disagree with that a little.

You and I might know that Superman’s costume is based off of the costumes worn by circus performers, but nearly no one else does. To them it’s merely Superman’s Cistume and it “always” has been. The reason why it’s so iconic wasn’t because people recognized where it came from, but because it’s a GOOD costume.

You’re right that some people hate change. That’s unavoidable. But I think a lot of people just hate change.., into something worse. Positive change would be fine with them. Batman’s costume changes, for instance, with unpredictable reception. Sometimes people like it. Other times they don’t. In my opinion, the bad changes are almost ALWAYS precipitated by some dumb editorial mandate rather than because an artist drew something cool. “Make it more realistic!” “Make it less sexual!” “Make it more modern so today’s kids will like it!”. That’s how you get dumb character designs where the heroes are wearing sunglasses and iPods and crap like that...
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
superman