Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 05:59 AM
17 Replies, 848 Views

Old 02-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

[Comics] - Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews - Year 2 - Week 9

Welcome to week nine of Evil Avatar’s Weekly Comic Book Reviews.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week nine is Exiles #77 courtesy of BCBcomics. The deadline of entry submissions for week nine is midnight EST on Sunday, March 5th. The selection of the random winner for the March books will occur on Monday, March 26th. Click here to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname. Remember, you can submit one entry each week to increase your chances of winning.

If you’re tired of missing out on your regular or new comics then you’re in need of a reliable comic book subscription provider. Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway provider, BCBcomics offers comic book subscriptions with many fringe benefits including no hidden costs, 30-35% off of cover price (depending on the publisher), all issues are bagged and boarded and cheap* shipping on all orders (*see BCBcomics’ website for the details).

In addition, the comics featured on BCBcomics home page are 50% off or just $1 if you’re a subscriber.

Remember, these are NOT spoiler-free reviews.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Week Nine:
Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews – Year 2 - Week 9
By Everlost_MI (Brian K. Nichols), Editor in Chief

Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk #2 of 6
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Damon Lindelof
Artist: Leinil Francis Yu
Colors: Dave McCaig
Letters: Chris Eliopoulos
Editor: Ralph Macchio
Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

This issue fills the gaps of how Bruce Banner escaped from his death sentence by the means of a nuclear bomb and what he’s been doing since his escape that led to the events in the first issue of Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk. Some of the gaps include his constant obsession over Betty and each attempt in contacting her only causes the Hulk to emerge. Banner tracks down the Panchen Lama who he believes can help cure him of the anger that causes the Hulk to appear. The Lama suggests that perhaps it’s the Hulk that turns into Banner, not the other way around. The issue ends with the promise of the fight that’s only been shown as fleeting glimpses in the initial issue.

Damon Lindelof has picked up where Mark Millar left the Hulk in The Ultimates without missing a beat. The intelligent and slightly humorous storyline is told with excellent characterizations and enjoyable dialogue. Leinil Francis Yu’s artwork is top shelf with great attention paid to the details of the characters as well as the backgrounds. The panel layouts are exceptional as they add to the script’s drama and action. Dave McCaig’s coloring is a perfect match for Yu’s artwork as it compliments and accentuates instead of overshadowing.

Bottom Line:
The issue was extremely enjoyable as it filled in the gaps since readers last saw The Hulk in the Ultimates series. Lindelof has some nice nods to the previous television and comic incarnations of Bruce Banner with the use of David and Bixby during the various flashbacks. Fans of the Ultimate and main (616) Marvel universes would be doing themselves as disservice by not picking up this issue and the series as whole.

Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 EvilEyes

Captain America #15 (An ongoing series)
Writer: Ed Brubaker
Art: Mike Perkins
Color Art: Frank D’Armata
Letters: VC’s Joe Caramagna
Editor: Tom Brevoort

The issue picks up on the subplot of Crossbones kidnapping Synthia Schmidt, the Red Skull’s daughter, from a hidden S.H.I.E.L.D. facility that was started during the Winter Solider story arc. The origin and history of Synthia Schmidt is revealed as Crossbones deprograms her from the S.H.I.E.L.D. brainwashing back into the hate machine she was evidently bred and raised for.

Ed Brubaker has crafted another great issue in the pursuit of bringing the Red Skull and her daughter back to the forefront of being Cap’s greatest adversaries but with teeth this time. The artwork by Mike Perkins and Frank D’Armata is gritty and textured as it brings Brubaker’s script to life.

Bottom Line:
Brubaker is doing a great job of putting Captain America and his classic rogue gallery back on the map in the main Marvel Universe. Especially the potential that can be explored with what he’s done with to the Red Skull is quite intriguing and exciting. If you’re an occasional Captain America or Ed Brubaker fan then take the time and pick up an issue of the series, you will be pleasantly surprised. Brubaker’s interpretation of Captain America is of a man who’s seen the values and people he held dear ripped away and destroyed. Now he’s left with the pieces and is forced to solider on, the best way to sum up this treatment of Captain America is to quote Indiana Jones, “It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.”

Rating: 4 out of 5 EvilEyes

Astonishing X-Men #13 (An ongoing series?)
Writer: Joss Whedon
Artist: John Cassaday
Colorist: Laura Martin
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Editor: Mike Marts

This issue opens with the revelation of Cassandra Nova being behind Emma Frost’s acquried ability to transform into a diamond-like substance in order to survive the destruction of Genosha. Emma starts to move pieces of the Hellfire Club plot against the X-Men into play with the initial step of planting nightmares into Kitty’s head. It appears that Emma is hesitating a bit in executing these moves because of her love for Scott. Meanwhile, Scott seems to be in denial about Emma’s recent actions on the battlefield at the end of the last storyline as he tries to avoid her as much as possible. A bit of interaction between Agent Brand of S.W.O.R.D. and Director Hill of S.H.I.E.L.D. occurs as the mutants and the X-Men still bear watching according to Brand/S.W.O.R.D. Kitty and Piotr re-establish their romantic relationship as Logan attempts to take the students under his wing in a makeshift Danger Room excerise with Logan being the Danger Room. Finally, the issue closes with Emma appealing to Scott to come to bed as she’s “dressed” in his favorite outfit, Jean Grey being The Phoenix.

Joss Whedon has begun to make amends for the lackluster sentient Danger Room storyline by amplifying the suspense and drama of Emma’s plans since they were intially revealed in Astonishing X-Men #12. Whedon’s dialogue fires on all cynaliders while the characterizations feel like your favorite pair of old jeans. The pacing is on the mark and the vaious foreshadowing truly whets one’s appetite. John Cassaday’s is a perfect fit for this series with the tremendous depictions of the characters especially in their facial expressions as well as the use of angles and panel layouts to help relay the drama and pace of Whedon’s script. Laura Martin’s coloring helps add additional layers of atmosphere and depth to Cassaday’s artwork as the icing on the cake.

Bottom Line:
Even with the delays of this series and the less than inspired Danger Room story arc, this is one of the better written and drawn main (616) Marvel universe X-Men titles since Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely’s run on New X-Men. If you’re are regular or occasional X-Men fan, this issue and series is worth your time and money. In addition, I feel Morrison’s New X-Men run is worth the time and money in reading in either single issues or trade paperbacks (TPB).

Rating: 4 1/2 out of 5 EvilEyes

What else is worth reading this week…

· Ultimate Spider-Man #90 – The Ultimate universe Tinker is introduced as he is forced to work for Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week nine is Exiles #77 courtesy of BCBcomics. The deadline of entry submissions for week nine is midnight EST on Sunday, March 5th.

Click here to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname.

Remember, you can submit one entry per week to increase your chances of winning.

Last edited by Everlost_MI; 02-26-2006 at 06:31 PM..
Everlost_MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #3
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Finally, a week of comic reviews where I've already read 2/3rds of the titles. Huzzah!

Isn't Marvel Zombies #4 coming out this week? I'd say that it's definately a worth-reading title.

Keep up the good work.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
thecrazyd

This is sort of irrelevant, but comic related. Just wanted to show off this awesome stencil my roommate made. Keep in mind this is a spraypaint and a stencil.

Old 02-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

That is an awesome stencil.

Oh, I found a typo. " a makeship Danger Room " should be " makeshift".

That is all.

Although I have to say that I actually liked the sentient Danger Room storyline from Astonishing X-Men. That's what got me hooked on it. I had never really thought of the Danger Room as being, well, dangerous until then.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazyd
This is sort of irrelevant, but comic related. Just wanted to show off this awesome stencil my roommate made. Keep in mind this is a spraypaint and a stencil.

Holy Spider Jerusalem, Batman! That is freaking awesome.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
Cupelix
One Man Wrecking Machine

For anyone who reads the various X titles - any explanation on how the Hellfire club plot from Uncanny a little while ago is supposed to mesh with this run of Astonishing? They seem to be completely at odds - unless we make the assumption that this Astonishing plot happens way before the Uncanny plotline, but that seems strange as well.
Cupelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot
Isn't Marvel Zombies #4 coming out this week? I'd say that it's definately a worth-reading title.
Keep up the good work.
You are right, MZ #4 does come out this week. More than likely I'll review it instead of adding to the "What else is worth reading this week…"

I prehaps should rename that because it refers to the past week, not the coming week. My mini review, not that my reviews are big to begin with it.

Thanks for the kind words and for catching my mistaking in ship instead of shift.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlost_MI
You are right, MZ #4 does come out this week. More than likely I'll review it instead of adding to the "What else is worth reading this week…"

I prehaps should rename that because it refers to the past week, not the coming week. My mini review, not that my reviews are big to begin with it.

Thanks for the kind words and for catching my mistaking in ship instead of shift.
No prob. I've been on a major editing kick of late. My poor wife has to listen to me proofread the local paper. Yeah, I have no life.

I figured you'd do a proper review of MZ #4 when it comes out as opposed to saying, "Hey, zombiiiiies." I am so hooked on that whole series that I went out and picked up all the UFF's that set it up. Speaking of which, have they said how long the arc is that ties up the UFF/Zombies plotline? I know it starts in issue 29 or 30, but have they said how many issues it'll go for?

Speaking of which, I think it's criminal for them not to include the UFF issues with the zombie plotline in the Zombies trade.

Old 02-26-2006, 06:46 PM   #10
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot
No prob. I've been on a major editing kick of late. My poor wife has to listen to me proofread the local paper. Yeah, I have no life.

I figured you'd do a proper review of MZ #4 when it comes out as opposed to saying, "Hey, zombiiiiies." I am so hooked on that whole series that I went out and picked up all the UFF's that set it up. Speaking of which, have they said how long the arc is that ties up the UFF/Zombies plotline? I know it starts in issue 29 or 30, but have they said how many issues it'll go for?

Speaking of which, I think it's criminal for them not to include the UFF issues with the zombie plotline in the Zombies trade.
Hey, it makes you a better reader and writer. I won't say that means you have no life.

Marvel is stating that the storyline is three issues, starting in #30 of UFF. It's anyone's guess unless someone heard/read something from the NY Comic Con over the weekend if that will be the last zombie story in the series. With all the popularity that's been generated, I'd doubt it.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #11
WastelandDan
Frontier Psychiatrist

I've actually got some news about that. I was over at the local comic shop talking about the zombies series with the owner and he said "hey, I saw something interesting about that." He pulled out some preview books they send out to comic shop owners with cover art and synopses of coming issues and the Marvel Zombies story arc is actually continued again in Ultimate Fantastic Four. So it initially starts in issue 21 of Ultimate Fantastic Four, runs for three issues and then goes over to it's own 5 part series as just "Marvel Zombies". It's then continued again in UFF after MZ ends for another three issues. The cover art for the upcoming UFF zombie continuation shows the zombie FF too. Looks pretty good!

Edit: whoop, I got confused. The initial UFF zombie appearance was issue 21 through 23, so yeah, the new ones are going to be issue 29 or 30 through around 33. So if anything what I saw in the shop is just confirmation of what Marvel stated. I'm hoping it's continued for a longer arc also!
WastelandDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #12
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

The Fantastic Zombies are in issues 24 and 27 as well.

I'm thinking that Zombie Reed has something to do with the wierd alternate reality/altered timeline in the current arc as he did mention that he was just waiting for the right time to escape. What better way to do that than to alter reality and get rid of anyone who can stop him? (Of course, I have no idea and am just talking out of my butt here).

Old 02-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #13
Balthasar
Evil Dead

"Damon Lindelof has picked up where Mark Millar left the Hulk in The Ultimates without missing a beat."

I had no idea he also wrote comic books in his spare time away from being the co-creator/writer/executive producer of Lost. Unless this happens to be a different Damon Lindelof.
Balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:34 PM   #14
bardockkun
Evil Dead

As much as i love those Marvel Zombies, the need for Infinite Crisis is overwhelming... Damn DC for delaying this book and isn't 52 starting next month?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:24 AM   #15
mightbe
Won PAX

I have no books to read now that Book of Lost Souls is over.

Is there anything left that does not have super heroes?
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:30 AM   #16
swiftdraw
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightbe
I have no books to read now that Book of Lost Souls is over.

Is there anything left that does not have super heroes?
DMZ is my current fav in that regard. Exterminators and Warren Ellis's Blackgas are also really good.

Edit: To be clear, Blackgas has only 1 issue out (I think) and it has the potential to be very good.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #17
WastelandDan
Frontier Psychiatrist

While some of these books do have super heroes, my current monthly reads are as follows (including limited issue mini-series):

Nightcrawler
Jonah Hex
Fell
Batman: Year 100
anything BPRD or Hellboy
Marvel Zombies
Desolation Jones

Desolation Jones, Fell, and Jonah Hex aren't about super heroes, although in Jones there is an aspect of super powers. You should absolutely read those three, but in particular Fell and Jones. Also Batman: Year 100 is a fucking incredible read and nobody in their right mind should miss it.
WastelandDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #18
Dr.Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupelix
For anyone who reads the various X titles - any explanation on how the Hellfire club plot from Uncanny a little while ago is supposed to mesh with this run of Astonishing? They seem to be completely at odds - unless we make the assumption that this Astonishing plot happens way before the Uncanny plotline, but that seems strange as well.
Simply said, it doesn't mesh. The line about the Hellfire Club 'is not a strip club' is a refrence to Morrison's use of it but may also relate to the Uncanny arc. Sage is in New Excalibur and clearly not mentoring Sunspot anymore.

And to Everlost - Astonishing will be bimonthly for the next 6 issues, monthly for the 6 after that (including a Giant Sized Astonishing) to wrap up Whedon's run. It will continue after that under another team.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:49 AM   #19
Cupelix
One Man Wrecking Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Finger
Simply said, it doesn't mesh. The line about the Hellfire Club 'is not a strip club' is a refrence to Morrison's use of it but may also relate to the Uncanny arc. Sage is in New Excalibur and clearly not mentoring Sunspot anymore.
I can't decide whether I like or dislike Whedon essentially blowing off other continuity. On one hand, Claremont's plot about it was completely confusing, and a shitty excuse to write characters in their underwear; so I'm completely willing to give it the finger. At the same time, the editors in the X offices at Marvel shouldn't allow the writers to confuse readers, particularly when they hope that people are reading all of the X titles at the same time. It also makes reading all the titles feel like a larger waste of time than it already does.
Cupelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #20
MosBen
Evil Dead

You know what I'd like to see in this space or the weekly comics discussion is someone telling me if that new Avengers DVD is worth looking into.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote