Picts - Waiting to...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 04:22 PM
18,520 Replies, 3,475,796 Views

Old 03-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #1
bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

[EDITORIAL] - REAL Gamer Reviews #2

This week's REAL Gamer Review comes again from EB Games.com.
Even though this week's review is from an anonymous source, we really need to examine its thought provoking nature.
Our anonymous reviewer had this to say about Ghost Recon 3: Advanced Warfighter from UbiSoft.

Quote:
GETING SHOT 3 TIMES IS BETTER THEN 10 MORE REAL
this new game going to be the best gr ever is a new gen of gun and stuff. the reson why you get shot like 3 time and you die b/c gr not trying to be like halo2 where you can get shot ten time then you hide and get your life back.
Is getting shot 3 times and dying better than getting shot 10 times and dieing? Let me ask you Mr. X, if I shot you 3 times, would you rather die or would you rather take 6 more bullets and live?
That's right, 50 Cent, rap star and video game mogul was shot 9 times and lived. Does this mean one more bullet and 50 is no more? Or after hiding and "getting his life back" can he come out and play for 9 more bullets?

You bring up Halo 2 in your example, saying getting shot 10 times and running and hiding to regain your health is, "NOT REAL." You might want to bring that up to Master Chief, the star of Halo 2. You see, Master Chief is a genetically enhanced superhuman wearing futuristic MJOLNIR armor which comes equipped with rechargeable shields. You don't get any more real than that. I damn well hope the man can take 10 bullets and hide while he "regains life."

Of course, there are countless numbers of people who die from only 1 bullet. That's right, one single bullet. That's certainly less than 3 bullets, which are required for 3 shots. Hopefully in Ghost Recon 4: Super Advanced Monkeyfighter there will be 1 shot and 1 kill.
Why? Because it's more REAL.

Last edited by bapenguin; 03-03-2006 at 09:33 AM..
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
boratika
smiles when it rains

At last the "new gen of gun and stuff" is upon us.

HD era's got nothin'.
boratika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
phantomhitman
Evil Dead

how can you ignore next gen stuff, come on, its next gen!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Meusli
Subscriber

I like the one a couple above him where he goes on about his xbox360, total waffle
Meusli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #5
AniAko
Banned

Reality isn't a necessity in gaming. Of course there are aspects that we expect to seem real like gravity and collision detection, but those are aspects of the game engine, not the game play. They are required to build the gaming experience, where as aspects of gameplay are more of guidelines to build the experience.

If I make a standard FPS there is a laundry list of functions that NEED to exist in my game. Like it needs to be from a first person perspective, and I need someting to shoot. Playing in some kind of environment is also required and I should be able to interact with that environment, like stopping when I hit a wall, or bobbing while I'm in the water. That's where the realism comes in. I expect that I shouldn't be able to walk through walls or on top of water.

Should someone die when they're shot 1,3, or 10 times? If my FPS is futuristic is it unreasonable to include shielding armor? Will a flak jacket take all damage or lower my damage taken from a shot? Do I have a health bar? Will picking up a little white case with a cross on it seal up my bullet holes and make me feel better? This is where the artistic license of the game designer runs rampant on a game. None of these things contribute to the reality of the game.

My opinion on the matter is that if a game was 100% REAL, it wouldn't be fun. In fact it could very well be frustrating, as fun as Bushido blade was, you can't help getting pissed at the guy that figures out the single death blow.

I think it's more real to be able to shimmy up some pipe and climb across the rafters tie a cable to my leg and fall out of the venting system all Boondock Saints style. I could care less how many bullets I can take, I'm planning on taking NONE.

I bet this kid is just pissed because he plugs a Carbine in someone and they don't fall and die instantly because the bullet was from a rifle.

Last edited by AniAko; 03-03-2006 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Salmon and donkeys need doorknobs
AniAko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
Doctor Setebos
Banned

I'm sorry, I have to say it.

It's spelled "dying", not "dieing".
Doctor Setebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
Klade
Evil Dead

I like these reviews, but I would like them more if they were actually part of the news post and not a seperate link. You could just post them like evil does press releases, put the announcement up front and then on the first post of the review put your review.
Klade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #8
jeffool
Hero.

50 Cent is rich enough to buy Mjolnir amor? Huh, who knew? Fun stuff.

But Bushido Blade rocked forty three kinds of ass. Until they ruined it with sequels.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #9
AniAko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffool
Bushido Blade rocked forty three kinds of ass.
43 varieties? I was unaware that many existed!! You must be an ass rocker connoisseur
Old 03-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #10
Rakael
Whambulance Driver

Snakes on a motherfucking plane.

Gamertag - Rakael
WAR - Rakael - Sylvania/Order
Rakael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #11
EternalGamer
Hexigonal Librarian #3785

Inevitable Winter, my congrats on having the courage (naivete?) to take the topic of conversation in this post seriously and attempting to derrive coherant thought from a place where none has ever existed.

Dan

Xbox Live: EternalGamer2
Wii[/b]: 5776 8275 6283 1367
PS3 Network: EternalGamer
EternalGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
King Chaos
Death Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapenguin
Ghost Recon 4: Super Advanced Monkeyfighter
Ha ha... good one!
King Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
Deadend
Evil Dead

Quote:
Ghost Recon 4: Super Advanced Monkeyfighter
Yeah, it's going to be realistic like gangsta shit up in here. The monkeys will be trained by evil terrorists to try and kill America, and the only force capable of stopping monkeys with AK's are the Ghosts and their specially trained dolphins with C4.

The graphics are so realistic, a vetran played the game and had a flashback, went insane and killed himself in the game and DIED in real life.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #14
Magnanimous Gnome
Pickles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inevitable Winter
43 varieties? I was unaware that many existed!! You must be an ass rocker connoisseur
Well there is an ass like mine, which is tight and untouched. Then there is Kelegacy's, which is loose and ragged. The other forty one are the varieties in between those two extremes.

Rini's official EvAv GBF
Forbidden Fruit

If you're not spanking during sex, you're not doing it right. ~~Lord_Don
Magnanimous Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:11 AM   #15
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

I've met people who actually talk the way this person writes. Normally in line at Wal-Mart or GameStop.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:16 AM   #16
Dr.Finger

It's crap like this that makes me appreciate how civilized the Evil Avatar boards are.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:17 AM   #17
AniAko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalGamer
Inevitable Winter, my congrats on having the courage (naivete?) to take the topic of conversation in this post seriously and attempting to derrive coherant thought from a place where none has ever existed.

Dan
You should see what I can do with pasta recipies.

Trying to rationalize things and writing it down is an escape for me. I know this thread isn't made to be taken seriously.

So let me "fit in" and call our reviewer, the 8 year old with AOL bloatband access, a goat fucking ass hat.

Last edited by AniAko; 03-03-2006 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Rice patties need lentil
Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #18
Rakael
Whambulance Driver

"Goat fucking ass hat"

I like! I steal!

Gamertag - Rakael
WAR - Rakael - Sylvania/Order
Rakael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:21 AM   #19
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakael
"Goat fucking ass hat"

I like! I steal!
Tea leaf.
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #20
Mrbunchypants
Soul Reaper

Any simulator should have lots of real world Pro and cons to it. we see this in many games. Swat, G.R. serise, yes even CS. not to mention other kinds of games like driveing and flight sims. I'm all for makeing games more real...... I just might not play them if that get to real....
:p
Mrbunchypants is offline   Reply With Quote