Last post by SpectralThundr
Yesterday 04:40 PM
25 Replies, 2,358 Views
» Promotion

Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Microsoft Abandons Windows Store for Halo Wars 2 #HaloWars2

Looks like Microsoft is finally warming up to the idea that the Windows Store is a failure, Halo Wars 2 is getting a physical game release.

Quote:
THQ Nordic Partners with 343 Industries and Microsoft Studios for Physical Retail Release of Halo Wars 2 on Windows 10

THQ Nordic is partnering with Microsoft Studios and 343 Industries to bring Halo Wars 2 for Windows 10 to retail stores worldwide via physical packaging release. In addition, purchases of the physical retail release of Halo Wars 2 on Windows 10 PC will grant digital access to the Xbox One version via Xbox Play Anywhere.

Both the Standard and Ultimate Edition of Halo Wars 2 will be available at retail stores with high-quality packaging. The physical retail release of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition is stunning and provides fans with four-day early access to the core game, a Season Pass and Halo Wars: Definitive Edition, an enhanced version of the original Halo Wars that is playable on both Windows 10 and Xbox One as an Xbox Play Anywhere title. Learn more about Xbox Play Anywhere

“After working on so many titles together with Microsoft in 2016, we are stoked to start the year with another partnership. Being able to deliver such a big franchise to RTS and Halo fans alike, the opportunity to buy and own this game in a beautiful physical shape is something we appreciate a lot.” – Lars Wingefors, founder & Group CEO of THQ Nordic

“For fans who love to own the box, we’re excited to partner with THQ Nordic and bring Halo Wars 2 to physical release on Windows 10,” stated 343 Industries Studio Head of Strategy Games Development Dan Ayoub. “THQ Nordic has been great to work with and we look forward to the game’s release on Feb. 21, 2017.”

Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition includes four-day early access, releasing on February 17, 2017, retailing at 79,99 EUR/USD, and the Standard Edition will release on February 21, 2017, retailing at 59,99 EUR/USD.
Now if only they had the brains to suck it up and release their games on Steam.
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Wolfgang
Evil Dead

Sounds to me like this will be like the Division on PC. Buy the disc copy and it comes with a code.  You can install the disc, activate code and patch via uPlay or just activate the code and download/install via uPlay.

Nothing about this says "End of Windows Store"-- Halo Wars 2 will most certainly be patched via the Windows store.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Rooting for more Steam MS releases!
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #4
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I do not want the Windows store to stop as competition, for Steam, is a good thing.

P.s. "Microsoft Abandons Windows Store " - Nothing in the article specifically 'states' that.
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

They didn't abandon the Windows Store release...I've already preordered it on the Windows Store. What does the headline mean? I'm confused.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #6
ldi222
Subscriber

From the picture on the headline it looks like it actually comes with several install DVD's and not just a code. This would be equivalent to even early Steam releases going back to Half Life 2 which were essentially a disk but mostly just a code to unlock the game in Steam with a vanilla install as a feelie which is probably the case here. So this isn't abandoning the Windows store (as EA is surely aware) but it is providing a value for those who still like to get the retail experience and actually have disks to install instead of waiting on downloads of the entire game to reduce update time to just day 1 patching I presume.

Either way the headline is clickbait but it is worth considering that the marketing decision was made to actually release somewhat of a physical copy as a better way to sell than just a digital code. They must have done the math with retail consumers when it came to their value proposition of getting a physical box and disks to install vs just a card to activate and decided the extra cost of the box and disks outweighed the margin of only a card. A more accurate headline would be "Microsoft abandons selling digital code cards because they didn't sell as well at retail and packages a box and disks instead as a way to sell the same codes because it provides the buyer with a greater sense of value." I'd prefer the best of all worlds, Steam, Windows Store, and retail but sadly those days are long gone.
ldi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #7
dakhath
Peon

I'm pretty sure MS and Valve hate each other. Enough so that Valve wanted to build a windows free computer, and enough so that MS would rather build their own crappy store.
dakhath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

And when Games for Windows Live games WERE on Steam years ago and worked perfectly fine with Steam, you guys STILL complained.

Windows Store is not a failure, it will be around forever. Longer than Steam.

Suck it up and let Microsoft do what it wants. Steam is highly overrated and just a lucky cash cow for Gabe.

I like my Xbox app, I like Windows Store game. I like my XBOX achievements on PC that you know, actually have a proper metascore, a sound, etc.

Someone had to basically create a ROOTKIT to enable sounds in Steam achievements because Valve is so lazy (see Special K mod.)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzkidd View Post
They didn't abandon the Windows Store release...I've already preordered it on the Windows Store. What does the headline mean? I'm confused.
Typical PC nerd hatred of ALL storefronts not Steam.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:31 PM   #10
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

You can buy digital versions of console games too and GASP, for big games there is a physical release! Oh noes it must mean the digital console storefronts are being abandoned! Come on. This is not a news story, its a bad opinion piece.

Microsoft is basically turning the PC in to a giant Xbox ecosystem as for PC games are concerned because it CAN, you twats! Good for them!
Old 01-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #11
branrollins
Squire

Clickbait! Worked for me but still clickbait. Not sure how news a physical release indicates global thermonuclear war but whatever =)
branrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #12
Rommel
International Playboy

I like the idea of the Windows store. Windows having a built in software distribution system is the future, not some evil. Look how much benefit OS stores provide our phones. The problem isn't the idea of a store, just Microsoft's continuously awful design. We should have had a unified PC ecosystem years ago but MS fucked up Windows 8 so hard, refused to listen to complaints and had to release Windows 10 as an apology, delaying the very purpose of the previous OS as a way to integrate the five thousand devices in our lives.
drive into the daughter's womb proper, fill the uterus with the dick snot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwyluie View Post
Rommel gave the right answer
*Not in context
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #13
Anenome
Autarchist

If Windows wants to take 30% of all win software, Linux will get a huge boost.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:57 AM   #14
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Hmm, Quantum Break was some Microsoft published BS wasn't it? I just got that the other day on PC and the physical copy came with a Steam code.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halo wars