Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Mad Max RW
Soul Reaper

The Logan trailers look surprisingly awesome, let's hope it delivers. The Wolverine was ok until the last act, despite the awful protagonist. X-Men Apocalypse was shit. Days of Future Past was decent. Almost all of the Marvel Studios movies like The Avengers are entertaining yet complete trash. Combined with what Warner is doing with DC I'm beginning to hate comic book movies. Logan/Wolverine really deserves to be a standout among all this cheesy garbage.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 AM   #4
Scherge
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
The Logan trailers look surprisingly awesome, let's hope it delivers. The Wolverine was ok until the last act, despite the awful protagonist. X-Men Apocalypse was shit. Days of Future Past was decent. Almost all of the Marvel Studios movies like The Avengers are entertaining yet complete trash. Combined with what Warner is doing with DC I'm beginning to hate comic book movies. Logan/Wolverine really deserves to be a standout among all this cheesy garbage.
I support everything you just said (minus the Apocalypse thing, because I saw neither that nor the new FF movie, but they looked horrible in trailers already).
Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
screwyluie
Evil Dead

On the flip side I love everything marvel has done so far, fantastic movies. This looks like another hit to me.

curious though, if she's supposed to be a clone of him why is she so strong? must be more to it I suppose.
screwyluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Looks like a fantastic character piece for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. Not so sure about the little girl since I never followed the stories. I have no idea the setting or why she's important except maybe to give Logan some reason to return to humanity when he's otherwise ready to give it up.

I'll probably see it in the theater.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Looks good to me, thus far. I like how they tie the comic books in as well.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #8
Chimpbot
Godzillaologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
Looks like a fantastic character piece for Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart. Not so sure about the little girl since I never followed the stories. I have no idea the setting or why she's important except maybe to give Logan some reason to return to humanity when he's otherwise ready to give it up.

I'll probably see it in the theater.
She's X-23, a female clone of Wolverine. This also sums up why she's important.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #9
Terran
Evil Dead

This looks really good. Love Patrick Stewart. Sad to see him age into roles where he's an old invalid or a pile of animated poop.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpbot View Post
She's X-23, a female clone of Wolverine. This also sums up why she's important.
Why does she have metal claws and not bone? Seems like that would mess with a kid's growth. Or maybe I'm not suspending my disbelief enough.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Mad Max RW
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Why does she have metal claws and not bone? Seems like that would mess with a kid's growth. Or maybe I'm not suspending my disbelief enough.
You can read the comics, but there's no telling how much they changed her origin for the movie. From what I remember she was created in a lab similar to the Weapon X facility that gave Logan adamantium and made him into an unthinking killing machine. Instead of having her memories routinely erased she's brought up as a feral animal, trained and experimented on for several years and eventually escapes captivity. In the most recent comic storyline she interacts with Old Man Logan who is now living in the primary Marvel universe following the original Wolverine's death. I think she has some girlfriend who wants to kill her and convinced X23 that he's her enemy. I dunno it's a mess. That shit is where once again the comics lose me. I'm waiting for the inevitable reboot when true Wolverine comes back along with some hopefully good writers.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #12
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing. In the comics she is pretty much full grown when they experiment on her, but I think here we just have to kinda look the other way and enjoy the gore.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
Anemone
Evil Dead

Didn't logan have his claws sliced off by the adamantium samurai robot in the last one? Is he going to walk around this movie with half a pair, or did they manage to repair his claws using Cyclops's eye rays or something.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:30 PM   #14
blackzc
Evil Dead

MMMMM wolvie. I love watching you change into your outfit behind the privacy of a Shoji after we have made passionate taboo love. If the yakuza find out....

Please, my village is counting on you, kill the Hulk. He is a menace and our village can withstand no more of his attacks.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:04 PM   #15
Mad Max RW
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
Didn't logan have his claws sliced off by the adamantium samurai robot in the last one? Is he going to walk around this movie with half a pair, or did they manage to repair his claws using Cyclops's eye rays or something.
Logan follows the events of Days of Future Past, which ended by resetting the X-Men universe. The events of all the movies, including Wolverine having his claws chopped off, never happened. However, he retains memories of these events. This is a similar path the comics are following with Old Man Logan living in the primary modern universe. His lifetime of memories from an alternate universe are kinda fucking with his mind.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:52 AM   #16
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max RW View Post
Logan follows the events of Days of Future Past, which ended by resetting the X-Men universe. The events of all the movies, including Wolverine having his claws chopped off, never happened. However, he retains memories of these events. This is a similar path the comics are following with Old Man Logan living in the primary modern universe. His lifetime of memories from an alternate universe are kinda fucking with his mind.
So wait... they are already retconning X-Men: Apocalypse? I mean I get why they'd want to but... really?
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #17
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

When she first showed up in NYX, she was a nearly autistic teenage prostitute who dressed in goth clothing. I think this was the best incarnation of the character. There was no real link between her and Wolverine. She had already been in the X-men cartoon, so she existed as a character, but the comic version was much darker.

By the time she crossed paths with the X-men, they had done away with her aloof, dissassociated-from-reality personality and made her just a regular character with no real personality and generic anger issues.

In the modern comics, she's basically a knock-off Wolverine character with none of Logan's flaws.

This film version looks like they have gone back to having her be on another page psychologically, which I think is far more interesting.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:44 AM   #18
Mad Max RW
Soul Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
So wait... they are already retconning X-Men: Apocalypse? I mean I get why they'd want to but... really?
X-Men Apocalypse is part of the First Class universe and is the current canon. The original 3 movies (X-Men, X2 United, Last Stand) as well as X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Wolverine, and the future world of Days of Future Past have been erased from this movie universe and exist only in Wolverine's mind.

The timeline is confusing as hell. The easiest way to accept it is anything with the new cast is canon. Anything with the old cast prior to the Days of Future Past finale is no longer canon.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:03 AM   #19
Azrael
Subscriber

This... this makes me happy. Bummed that Jackman's time as Wolverine is coming to a end but glad he's going out in R rated fashion
Azrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #20
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
This... this makes me happy. Bummed that Jackman's time as Wolverine is coming to a end but glad he's going out in R rated fashion
His time being at an end as Wolverine is about as likely as Daniel Craig not playing James Bond again. Oh wait, Daniel Craig is playing James Bond again.

If this movie is a success, you know he will be back for more X-Men movies or more Wolverine movies -- or even something as small as a cameo in some Deadpool movie.

The lure of big money for has-been actors is just too great. And while Hugh Jackman isn't really a "has-been" he certainly isn't the bright star that he once was and that goes a long way toward dragging old characters out of the closet again.

Look at Craig. In the end, he couldn't resist the $100 million or so they were offering.

Tags
logan