Last post by Emabulator
Yesterday 02:14 PM
5 Replies, 2,324 Views
» Promotion

Old 03-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Alien Covenant Red Band Trailer

Leaked Red Band Trailer, watch it while you can!
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Kinda neat. I think the only really new scene I see is the dissected Engineer. The more I see, the better this film looks. Tons of old-school Aliens style action and still a creepy back story on top of that.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
actusoul
Evil Dead

Sweet. They are at the engineers home planet.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by actusoul View Post
Sweet. They are at the engineers home planet.
Not 100% sure about that. They say in the trailer, "The journey to Paradise continues." or words to that effect. The rumor was that this movie brings you full circle back to LV-246, but I have this weird feeling that there will still be one more film before we get to that point and then another "after" film with kind of a final showdown with David.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
Terran
Evil Dead

I enjoy all the Aliens films. The consistency wavers among some of them, but they're all generally good fun. Looking forward to this one too.

Speaking of aliens, I watched Arrival last night and liked it. I found it depressing, but I liked it.
Terran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #6
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terran View Post
I enjoy all the Aliens films. The consistency wavers among some of them, but they're all generally good fun. Looking forward to this one too.

Speaking of aliens, I watched Arrival last night and liked it. I found it depressing, but I liked it.
I thought that the FX in Arrival were decent, the acting was decent, but the story kinda started nowhere and went nowhere. The book was shit and the movie has the same ending as the book, so it 's pretty much a shit ending too.

When you adapt a book to the big screen, that is your chance to kinda fix the problems in the book (assuming you don't go too totally far off the rails) and instead they created more problems than they fixed.

Like the bits where someone tells her something in the future -- specifically so she can have that knowledge in the past -- and then she knows it in the past -- that's totally NOT how the time knowledge works in the books. Things in the future don't change because of the past, you just have complete knowledge of what your future self will do and somehow you just become resigned that "Oh well, that's what I do so that's what I'll do." (Which is a stupid idea unto itself.)

I think they did a good job by making the story mean something, that the Aliens visit us and it counts for something, but dropped the ball in other places.

Certainly not a bad flick overall, but it could have been a classic with just a tiny bit more work on the story. Obviously the screenwriter is pretty talented (for a liberal douchebag).
Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #7
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

I think I'll watch Aliens again today. Been a while since I've seen it. Though I suggest staying far far away from the Director's Cut. The quality of the extra scenes is so low it just isn't worth it. It's always a bad idea to put unfinished scenes back into a movie.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM   #8
shadow763
Lord of Woe

Looks like at one point that person is attacked by a kind of variant of that weird alien thing at the end of Prometheus.
shadow763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow763 View Post
Looks like at one point that person is attacked by a kind of variant of that weird alien thing at the end of Prometheus.
Yea, I saw that peach-colored Alien Deacon. Looks neat. I think one of the plot points is that David 8 has been experimenting with the Alien Goo and has created multiple kinds of Aliens.

What I'm really curious about is the big scene with all the flash-fried Engineers and Aliens. I wonder if David had anything to do with that or if it is just more of the alien goo backfiring.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
Azzy
Cthulian

It looks like a nice blend of what made Alien(s) so impactfully frightening and what made Prometheus so striking, ominous, and beautiful.
I don't mind them toying with the various mutations that the goo or dust or whatever will have on other life forms so long as they stay true to the menace of the OG Xeno.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:45 AM   #11
Anemone
Evil Dead

I wonder if they will try to play up the idea of AI being more dangerous than the aliens in this one, something that has been a thread throughout the Alien series. David was a key character in the last one and would not be surprised if he survives this one too.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
Chief Smash
Enjoyed the Prequels

Maybe this is addressed in the film but I'm wondering why you wouldn't send along a team of military folks to go along on a mission like this. That's what I both loved and hated about Aliens. I loved it because they weren't just some helpless people. They fought back. I love when people fight back in horror movies. What I did hate was that all of the people trained to fight and handle pressure failed pretty spectacularly to handle the pressure and fight back properly. I think James Cameron just has something against the military. But I would love to see a modern and proper military vs aliens movie.
Chief Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #13
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
Maybe this is addressed in the film but I'm wondering why you wouldn't send along a team of military folks to go along on a mission like this. That's what I both loved and hated about Aliens. I loved it because they weren't just some helpless people. They fought back. I love when people fight back in horror movies. What I did hate was that all of the people trained to fight and handle pressure failed pretty spectacularly to handle the pressure and fight back properly. I think James Cameron just has something against the military. But I would love to see a modern and proper military vs aliens movie.
Well, they are colonists and with the possible exception of a gay couple (which might just be the guys joking around, you can't tell in the teaser) they are all there to be breeding couples for a new colony. A bunch of soldiers hanging around doesn't make much sense.

And to resolve that issue, they are taking Walter with them. Can you imagine better security than an immortal super-strong android? That's not bad as things go.

I do agree too, I wouldn't mind seeing a Colonial Marines movie.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
I wonder if they will try to play up the idea of AI being more dangerous than the aliens in this one, something that has been a thread throughout the Alien series. David was a key character in the last one and would not be surprised if he survives this one too.
I forsee some kind of Walter/David team at the end.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #15
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

If there isn't at least one homage "game over man, game over!" line in there I will not see this in the theater.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #16
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
If there isn't at least one homage "game over man, game over!" line in there I will not see this in the theater.
That's a different director.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #17
ministryofwrath
Dread Lord

"Kenny powers is gunna knock the fuck out of em' there xenos and grab on to some big victorious titties"

I'm sorry, I like some of danny McBrides work, but this is what plays in my head when I see him after east bound and down, that show....that show...
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #18
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Avatar View Post
That's a different director.
I don't care. Homage or no see. This is an Aliens movie, and the director needs to show RESPEK even if it means reshooting at least one scene. Shit, have Fastbender playing chess and when he win's have an electronic voice say in a completely sterile way "Game over, Game over" or something.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:13 PM   #19
VenomUSMC
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Smash View Post
I assumed the clips of the guys with the weapons were some sort of security team. At around the 25 second mark, you see guys armed with the AR-style rifles among the people that appear to walk into the field with the wheat before encountering anything. I guess they could be just colonists with guns, but I'm guessing they're at least considered security -- but maybe short of being a space Marine.

I do think it'd be cool to see a proper military unit versus aliens, and I think this could possibly be a good story to lead into such a situation -- bringing back an impregnated body (or a few) to a military installation and dealing with that. Otherwise, I'd assume they'd just blast the aliens into submission from afar.
VenomUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Just got back from this. The plot is basically a re-hash of the first Alien movie. I guess that is the trend now with directors, take your successful film and use the basic plot outline to write a sequel. It worked for Star Wars, so I guess others are trying to cash in as well.

Oh, one other thing. Some people were worried about James Franco being in the movie. Well fear not. This is probably his best performance in a movie ever.

Last edited by PacerDawn; 05-20-2017 at 06:14 PM..
PacerDawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alien covenant