4 Replies, 609 Views
» Promotion

Old 08-11-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Justice League Reshoots Will "Lighten Up" The Movie, Actor Says

GameSpot has the story.

Quote:
While it is not uncommon for big-budget movies to undergo several weeks of reshoots, those for the DC superhero team-up Justice League have been notable for a number of reasons. Firstly, original director Zack Snyder stepped aside following a family tragedy, with Joss Whedon (Avengers: Age of Ultron) taking his place. Then there was the controversy over Superman's mustache. Now one of the cast has revealed that the reshoots are intended to lighten the film's tone.

In a recent interview with IGN, Joe Morton, who plays Dr. Silas Stone in the movie, explained that "the film felt too dark" prior to the reshoots. In particular, changes had been made to Ray Fisher's character Victor Stone, AKA Cyborg.

"I know that with Ray, the young man who plays Victor, there were some adjustments that they made in terms of the tone of that character," Morton said. "I think what I heard was that there was a need from the studio to lighten up the film in a way, that the film felt too dark. I don't know what that meant in terms of how it actually got translated in terms of the reshoots but that's what I heard. That's what I thought some of the reshoots were about."

Even before Justice League started production, the filmmakers had spoken about their intention to make it "more hopeful and optimistic" than the critically reviled Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. However, Morton's comments suggest that the studio is looking to lighten the tone even further. There were similar rumors about last year's Suicide Squad when that also underwent reshoots.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #2
bub64882
Evil Dead

Good. blahblahblah minimum characters.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

I've liked the tone and look of Man of Steel and BvS. This annoys me, I don't want them to be "Whedon-ed up." I get that people need a joke or quip here and there, but I just hope this doesn't get Avengers type of cheesy dialog and color palette. They also replaced the composer awhile back from a guy who worked with Hans Zimmer on the awesome BvS soundtrack (Chino XL), to the same guy who did the boring ass Avengers 2 score, Danny Elfman. He hasn't had anything memorable since Beetlejuice and the Micheal Keaton Batman. All these changes are negative IMO, but I bet it gets dumbed down for the mass market so they can make $$$.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
bub64882
Evil Dead

But Man of Steel and BvS were terrible. WW was good. Make it more like WW. Seems pretty smart.
bub64882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Paranoia
Evil Dead

Sensitive Joss Whedon plans to lighten up a movie?

He can't even lighten up himself ever since Trump won.
Paranoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:03 PM   #6
Wizzkidd
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bub64882 View Post
But Man of Steel and BvS were terrible. WW was good. Make it more like WW. Seems pretty smart.
Man of Steel is a masterpiece. BvS is merely good with flaws.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #7
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

I really enjoyed Man of Steel, especially the first section of the film. I also enjoyed BvS. Wonder Woman was a bit boring and out of ALL the stories they could have gone with... WW2. Yeah, okay. Anything by Kevin Sorbo is terrible.

""I think what I heard was that there was a need from the studio to lighten up the film in a way, that the film felt too dark."
- Make it like the Marvel films (Which we're all aware of anyway)
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:23 AM   #8
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Danny Elfmen better not fuckup the Hans Zimmer MoS parts of the score; I'm not sure it could survive the standard Elfman touches of oboes, clarinets, or goth pop that has become his post-Oingo Boigo trademark since Tim Burton entered his life. Hans Zimmer is as close as any modern movie composer can get to John Williams as you can get and there's been a lot of pollution already so Elfman better take it easy.

Anyway - really liked Man of Steel. Liked Suicide Squad less. Liked BvS about the same as SS, which is to say not enough to own it. Really REALLY liked Wonder Woman. I wish I had seen it a few more times this summer instead of relative stinkers like Valerian and The Dark Tower.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Justice League. I think AquaBro is going to be terrible especially combined with the funny/awkward role The Flash seems to be playing. Too much overlap. I'm not sure how exactly they soften Cyborg unless they totally Teen Titans. We know where WW stands. Batman doesn't do soft and Superman is... the Man of Steel.

So I guess that means they changed up the lighting? Literally made the movie brighter?

vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
GinRummy
Evil Dead

This is this technique now called Deadpooling?
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
ministryofwrath
Reaper

Yeah, that worked out so well for suicide squad.

Fuck off and release dark gritty movies, because I'm tired of everything being deadpool.

after deadpool the avengers was a tragic comedy rather than a serious story.

Has humanity fallen so far we can't have 3 minuets in a movie without a cheesy joke.

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm tired of so much cheese on action movies.
ministryofwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #11
Evil Avatar
Citizen Game

This is bad news all around. Dark and Gritty is what the DC movies should be. They should be the counter-point to Marvel's cherry talking trash panda and giant constantly-laughing idiot.

They have all made good money, Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman even made more than $800 million. Just because they don't break a billion like the Marvel movies do doesn't mean they need to change the "tone" it only means they need to budget them accordingly.

Wonder Woman is a terrible movie. The final battle is totally pointless and worthless with a stupid villain who stands there in the middle of a CGI inferno and does nothing while she does the super-hero crouch. It was painful to watch. Honestly, I doubt I would watch it again it was that bad.

BvS almost gets better every time you watch it with it's iconic battle between Batman and Superman and the awesome Batmobile combat scene.

They don't need to go in another direction. This is a mistake and two years from now Warner Bros is going to again be left wondering why they aren't making money.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 AM   #12
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Finally saw Captain America Civil War last weekend and it was so boring I had forgotten what it was about the minute it was over. All I remember is how obvious they cut corners to afford all those actors and cg effects. Every location looked like the same warehouse in Eastern Europe. They go all over the world and it's grey. Such a boring movie to look at. The acting sucks. Nothing made any goddamn sense. What the hell is wrong with people who praised it so much? They took a cool story from the comics and made shit.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #13
LostToys
Evil Dead

I think that is pretty much true for most of the Marvel films these days. They are pretty interchangeable. That is why some people really like DC films because they at least felt different and had their own stories to tell.
LostToys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dc comics, justice league