Platform: PS4,Xbox One, PC
Platform Reviewed: PS4
Developer: Machine Games
Publisher: Bethesda
MSRP: $59.99
Writer: Aaron Birch

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

Don't lose your head!

The revival of id classics Doom and Wolfenstein continues with the second Nazi-killing shooter, The New Colossus, and I'm happy to report it's every bit the excellent shooter the previous game was, even more so thanks to an enhanced engine.

A direct sequel to the first game, The New Colossus continues the story directly after the first game, and there's little time to reminisce before you're thrust into battle as B.J. Blazkowicz, who once again has to take on the might of the Third Rich. The Rich is still in control of America in this distorted timeline where the Nazis triumphed in World War II.

Within the first 30 minutes of play, the game pulls no punches, and it delves into BJ's harrowing past, as well as showcasing just how brutal and sadistic the Nazi regime can be. The scenes depicted are nasty and cruel, but it all fits within the confines of the story, and nothing is done gratuitously. The shocks are for a purpose, and successfully paint an even clearer picture of your enemies, and the Nazi order.

The story is as strong as ever, which was a definite surprise in the first game. Being an all-out shooter, you just don't expect a strong story or characterisation, but the first game, and now The New Colossus excels at it, with great characters full of personality, antagonists you really do want to see pay in blood, and a story that's always enthralling and fitting. Not bad for a game based on little more that running around corridors shooting Nazis.

When it comes to the actual game, you'll find no smoother or faster shooter this side of the recent Doom remake. This is stupendously flashy stuff. Not only does the game look superb, with excellent graphics and attention to detail in each and every location and character model, but it all runs at a constant 60fps with tight controls and brilliant shooting. I'd say it still can't topple the unbeatable flowing joy of the action in Doom, but it comes a very close second, and is one of the slickest shooters around in terms of its engine and performance.

Of course, at the end of the day its still Wolfenstein, and although an improved sequel, it's also very much more of the same, so don't expect any major divergences from the formula. There's a Hub area to wander around in the form of the Kreisau's Circle's base, and you'll even get time to stroll through a Nazi occupied American town, complete with Klu Klux Klan members conversing with Nazi soldiers, but for the most part this is Wolfenstien through-and-through, and that means fast-paced shooting with a sprinkle of stealth.

The latter aspect is used often to force you to tackle some sections differently should you wish to avoid combat and makes things easier. If a Nazi commander is nearby, you'll be notified with an onscreen prompt showing their rough position. Should you be detected before you can reach them and take them out silently, they'll sound an alarm causing an endless supply of reinforcements to pile in. Kill the commander without being detected, and you'll make life much easier for yourself.

There's also a basic cover system, although I did find this to be very glitchy. Leaning around and above cover can work at times, but often I found I kept glitching in and out of cover, and it just wasn't as useful as simply ducking in and out of sight manually.

As for any other flaws, there's really not a great deal I can mention, and anything else would be nit-picking, looking for problems to find. True, the game itself is no revolution, and at hearts it's still a basic shooter, but you don't come to Wolfenstein for complex RPG mechanics or any other extra baggage, you come because you want to shoot Nazis, and that's just what you get.

Now, I should mention the elephant in the room for many people, and that's the lack of multiplayer. This may put off many people who look for this in their games, but in my opinion, it was a admirable decision to focus on the single player experience. There's a large number of players who don't care about online play, and just want a solid, solo story to tackle, and Wolfenstein 2 delivers. After all, it's not like we're starved of online FPS titles, is it?

Bethesda recently released a superb sequel for the original Evil Within that greatly improved on the original, and here we have another sequel that takes the original and improves upon it, delivering a brilliant and slick shooter that's well worth your time.

Score: 4.5 out of 5

The Good
  • Slick, brilliant engine
  • Great story and characterisation
  • Varied and enjoyable campaign
The Bad
  • Cover system needs work
  • No online mode will irk some
The Ugly
  • Frau Engel
Evil Avatar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

I'm sure it's good, but I did not like the intro with the wheelchair. PITA.

Also, that large blonde Nazi girl in the above shot is super hot.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Man.. I hope it's good as I found the last one REAAALLLLLLLLLYYYYYYY boring. Or, maybe, I've played a LOT of fps games over the many years.

Just about to start playing this one so here goes nothing... .
excalibur1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #4
Emabulator
The Voight-Kampff

Good work Aaron. I do love killing Nazis.
Emabulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Just played the first couple of levels and...

-It still has the same lame ass enemy ai
-Graphics have improved
-Still FAAARRRRRRRR too many cut scenes
-It's never going to be Half Life

SPOILER!

In the first few scenes there's child abuse, female abuse,
animal abuse, a beheading, fat shaming, the N word and more. WTF is wrong with game devs?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
excalibur1814
Evil Dead

Plus the biggest SIN OF ALL sins...

Auto-aim set to ON by default.

Now that's just awful. Turn that crap off straight away.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:22 PM   #7
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post
-Still FAAARRRRRRRR too many cut scenes
That was my big problem with the first game. It hought all the cutscenes were fantastic. But I don't want them in the middle of the gameplay.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
JazGalaxy
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1814 View Post

SPOILER!

In the first few scenes there's child abuse, female abuse,
animal abuse, a beheading, fat shaming, the N word and more. WTF is wrong with game devs?
If you're going to do a period game, I think it's important to be period appropriate. If people don't understand that, in the 60s, a woman could get fired from her job for gaining weight or getting older than 30, or that black people used to be able to be publicly beaten or killed for the crime of reading or writing, then people don't understand why things are the way they are today. The lack of American actually living up to the facade it painted of the picturesque 1950s is why the 1960s and 70s were so tumultuous.
JazGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #9
ElektroDragon
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazGalaxy View Post
If you're going to do a period game, I think it's important to be period appropriate. If people don't understand that, in the 60s, a woman could get fired from her job for gaining weight or getting older than 30, or that black people used to be able to be publicly beaten or killed for the crime of reading or writing, then people don't understand why things are the way they are today. The lack of American actually living up to the facade it painted of the picturesque 1950s is why the 1960s and 70s were so tumultuous.
You make it sound like 1950s America was Hitler's end goal. LOL

Also fat shaming? Who does it? I hope it's a Nazi so I can kill the bastard, and if its not a Nazi, well... too bad you can't play as one for a few minutes to kill the fat shamer then. I hope they were not fat shaming that luscious blonde BBW Nazi.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 PM   #10
Exodus
Evil Dead

He didn't talk about the horrendous head bobbing when you sprint which is motion sickness inducing and makes the game unplayable until you hack it.

Also the head bobbing when a grenade is near you is no thank you also.

Tags
wolfenstein 2