Title: Nacon Revolution Pro 2
Platform: PS4
Platform Reviewed: PS4
Manufacturer: Nacon
MSRP: $140.00
Writer: Aaron Birch

Nacon Revolution Pro 2 Review

Pro controls for an affordable price

Nacon has had a wide range of controllers hitting the market of late, including the Daija Arcade Stick, which I'll be reviewing soon. Amongst these controllers is the Nacon Revolution Pro 2 game pad. This is a high-end game pad that looks similar in design to the cheaper, Nacon Compact Controller, only larger, and with a whole lot more features.

Build wise, this is a very solid, and nice controller that's both comfortable and well proportioned. The smooth, almost velvety plastic casing feels very lush, and thanks to the inclusion of a custom weight system that lets you put different combinations of weights in the palm rests, you can adjust the weight of the pad to suit your preference. I personally like a heavier, more solid-feeling controller, and with a combination of the heavier supplied weights, I was able to achieve a very satisfying feel.

Actual controls on the pad are great, and although the Nacon may not have the elite looks of the likes Razer's Raiju, everything here is very solid, especially the analogue sticks, with are solidly constructed and very light and sensitive. They deliver a very impressive level of fine control, and feel, in my opinion, every bit as good, if not better than the Razer alternative (which is also more expensive).

The face buttons are larger than other controllers, which is a nice feature, and the square button is now further away from the touch-pad to avoid accidental hits on the touch pad itself, an issue of the Nacon Compact which isn't present here.

The D-pad is functional, but otherwise not very noteworthy. It's a solid circle, and isn't great for fighters, but it does the job. The same can be said for the touch pad. It's solid, does the job, and that's it.

The triggers are great, and like the analogue sticks have a very sensitive range of motion. They're well placed, and again, feel similar to other pro-controllers that are much more expensive.

Additionally, there are two extra paddle triggers on the lower side of the rear that feature four different buttons. These are programmable triggers you can set up to your preference. They work very well for FPS games where you can set the paddles to such commands as jump or reload, and come in very useful in multiplayer, or for Battle Royale titles where you can map them to inventory commands, etc. Of course, the rear paddles are perfectly suited to gear changes in racers, being similarly designed to F1 racing wheel gear shifters.

There are two available profiles you can set up and use, as well as a PC mode, so the pad can be used on your gaming PC as well as your PS4. Each mode changes the bright LED around the right-hand analogue stick to clearly indicate which mode you're using. There's a PC companion app you can download to make the most out of the pad on computer, meaning this pad really does pull double duty, for the price on one. Nice.

Unfortunately, there is a flaw on the pad that will put off some, and that's the lack of a wireless option. Although the USB charging cable is detachable, it needs to be plugged in when in use. This does mean you won't run out of power during play, but some may dislike being tethered to their console, especially for over $130.

Other than this niggle, though, I really don't have anything bad to say about the Nacon. Sure, it's much more expensive than a standard PS4 pad, but it is superior, the programmable paddles are useful, and the quality of the build makes it worth the extra cost. If you're looking for a more capable controller, the Nacon Revolution Pro 2 is definitely worth considering.

Score: 4.5 out of 5

The Good
  • Solid build
  • High quality analogue sticks
  • Programmable paddles
The Bad
  • No wireless
The Ugly
  • None to speak of
Evil Avatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #2
actusoul
Evil Dead

This has the Xbox layout. I wish it had a version with the PS4 layout since its for a PS4 and I am used to that layout.
actusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
NESter the Unlikely
Subscriber

Quote:
feel similar to other pro-controllers that are much more expensive
There are controllers that cost more than $140?! Jiminy Christmas I want off this ride.

Over three times the cost of the official controller, and can't be used wirelessly. People actually buy this stuff?
NESter the Unlikely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Blog
Evil Dead

My PS4 controllers are showing their age and I was thinking this might be a sweet replacement/upgrade, but the lack of a wireless mode absolutely kills it for me. It's 2019, FFS.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:57 AM   #5
Misanthropist
Evil Dead

blue tooth or something for wireless would have been a nice touch. I find it is pretty easy to disconnect the little usb cable from ps4 controllers while playing tethered.
Misanthropist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #6
Juan
Evil Dead

No wireless?? Wtf is this 2002?
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nacon revolution pro 2