24 Replies, 1,552 Views
Men in Black & Shaft...
Last post by MavenACTG
Yesterday 07:53 AM
12 Replies, 1,060 Views

Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Dr.Finger

2007 Second Half Preview - PS3 First Party Titles

Welcome to the latest instalment of Evil Avatar's 2007 Second Half Preview. Over the next few days we'll be bringing you a peek at some of the more intriguing games of the latter half of the year, a season which is shaping up to be one of the most exciting in recent memory.

A few notes and caveats on the preview.

- This list covers officially announced games that are reasonably expected to see the light of day in the last half of 2007, so no Duke Nukem Forever, Killzone 2 or Mario Kart Wii. I also only discuss games for the systems they have been officially announced for so Hellgate: London stays under the PC heading and MGS4 stays under PS3.

- Release dates used are for the U.S. releases of the game. Several of these titles may have already been released in other territories, or may not be released in others until a later date.

- I can only go on what information I have right now. Some games will slip to next year; others will be added to the schedule.

- For the sake of brevity any download-only titles (XBLA, PSN, VC, Steam, etc.) and games for last-gen systems (Original Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, GBA, etc.) are excluded from the list.

- The Hidden Gem is a game in each category that doesn't have a lot of hype or buzz surrounding it but still looks, to me at least, like a winner

Playstation 3 - First-Party

Title - Eye Of Judgement/ Playstation Eye
Genre - Card Battle/ Indecent Exposure Simulator
Developer - SCE Japan
I'm lumping these two together because they're pretty inexorably linked. Playstation Eye is the new camera/microphone accessory for the PS3. Eye of Judgement is a card battle game that utilizes the camera for almost all of the gameplay. While I'm not terribly thrilled that a game will encourage players to buy booster packs, its still an interesting concept. The original EyeToy was gimmicky but still produced some fun games, and this new version seems to be more of a legitimate accessory than a gimmick.

Hidden Gem
Title - Folk's Soul: The Lost Folklore
Genre - RPG
Developer - Game Republic
An under-publicized title that looks very interesting. The fact that the game has gone through at least two title changes (Monster Hunter & Unknown Realms) doesn't help its profile. So what makes it interesting? Firstly the man who made the beautifully twisted Shin Megami Tensei series, Kouji Okada, is creating it. The studio behind the beautiful, if flawed, Genji series is producing it. The game will incorporate action elements with RPG-like leveling and story development.

Title - Heavenly Sword
Genre - Action
Developer - Ninja Theory
Some in the media have dubbed this one 'Goddess of War' due to its similarities to Kratos' adventures on the PS2. And I have no problem with that assessment. Heavenly Sword looks amazing, the animations are fluid, the palette it bright and the action looks frantic. You play as Nariko, a young warrior who is sick and has only a short time left. Rather than curse fate she sets out to do one last great deed before she passes on - defending against an evil King and his invading army. The press certainly seems to love this game too, as it won an armload of 'Best of E3' awards in 2006. This looks to be one title that will having gamers wishing for a PS3.

Title - Hot Shots Golf 5
Genre - Super-deformed Golf
Developer - Clap Hanz
Sony's cutesy golf game that's also a blast to play comes into the next generation. Expect bright colors, ginormous heads with freakish anime eyes, and flashy golf gameplay. Online play will be a big part of the game, with 50 player lobbies and even tournaments.

Title - Lair
Genre - Action Adventure
Developer - Factor 5
Fans have been clamoring for a really good Dragon riding game since the beginning of gaming. The few good ones (Panzer Dragoon) have been obscured by the not so good (Drakan). Lair looks to break that trend and bring gamers a truly epic experience. Utilizing the Sixaxis to control your dragon, one of the more interesting uses of the controller so far, looks like a blast. The story puts you in the boots of a young lad inducted into the elite 'Burners' force and defending against a foreign invasion. Yeah, the story doesn't sound like much to write home about, but the gameplay and visuals are the real draws here.

Title - Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Genre - Platformer/Shooter
Developer - Insomniac Games
What can be said about the Ratchet & Clank series that hasn't been said before? To me it's as close to gaming nirvana as I've ever experienced. The platforming is sublime. The weapons are interesting, inventive, perfectly balanced and they're all useful. All of this is wrapped up in witty and humorous story that is accented by spot-on voice acting. Expect more of the same here, except with a beautiful next-gen sheen over everything. And Captain Quark will be back! Happy Day.

Title - SingStar
Genre - Karaoke
Developer - SCE London
As much as part of me wishes otherwise, I know for a fact that this game will be a monster, epic hit. Why? It basically takes American Idol, mashes it up with YouTube and tosses in a bit of the iTunes store for good measure. If that's not a recipe for success I don't know what it. The concept of SingStar is simple karaoke. Sing into the included microphone in time with the onscreen prompt. Scores are kept based on both accuracy and difficulty of the song. Couple it with the EyeToy or Playstation Eye cameras and you have that staple of YouTube, the sing-along video. Expect a ton of downloadable content for this one (including new songs, videos, wallpapers and the like), but more importantly expect a lot of uploadable content as well Players can take audio or video recording and upload them to the net for all to experience. While this one may not appeal to the hardcore gamer out there, it likely will pull in their non-gaming mothers, sisters and spouses.

Title - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Genre - Action Adventure
Developer - Naughty Dog
After spending much of the past decade in cute and fuzzy territory, first with Crash Bandicoot then with the Jax and Daxter series, Naughty Dog is moving into more realistic territory with Uncharted. While not a lot of details are out there about this one it seems to hearken back to the classic Hollywood cliffhanger serials of yore. Yeah they're pretty much plundering the same crypts as Tomb Raider, but that's not necessarilly a bad thing. Especially if the gameplay matches the graphics, which considering the pedigree of the team working on it I expect that it will.

Coming Tomorrow: Playstation 3 - Third Party

Previously
Xbox 360 - First Party
Xbox 360 - Third Party
Old 05-16-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Sandman
Banned

Never heard of Folk's Soul: The Lost Folklore but I love the Shin Megami games, yet hated Genji. I'll need to look into it more. Otherwise I'm sold on the rest of it except for Singstar, not much of a singer.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #3
Siraris
Caunotaucarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman
Never heard of Folk's Soul: The Lost Folklore but I love the Shin Megami games, yet hated Genji. I'll need to look into it more. Otherwise I'm sold on the rest of it except for Singstar, not much of a singer.
You've heard of it it was called Unknown Realms Monster Kingdom before.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Wyrm
Lord of Dreams

These previews are awesome! Thanks for the time spent, I've enjoyed reading all of them.
Twitter
Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
Sandman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraris
You've heard of it it was called Unknown Realms Monster Kingdom before.
That name rings a very quiet bell...like maybe it was shown for a second in some montage of footage or something but I havn't heard much about it. For some reason that name reminds me of Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Grifter

I don't know what is is about Eye of Judgment but I am really looking forward to that game. Other than Heavenly Sword everything else on that list is in the "Eh, looks okay but I'll have to wait and see" category. Of course none of it matters until I can actually afford to buy a PS3. No that wasn't a knock on the price, I can't afford a Wii right now either.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Wasn't Uncharted: Drake's Fortune out for something else or originally slated to be a PS2 title? For some reason, the name is VERY familiar to me, and not just from being a PS3 game.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Evil Avnovice
Wii Defense Force tool

I don't know. Filter out Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and the list seems a little bare-bones.
Evil Avnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Grifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot
Wasn't Uncharted: Drake's Fortune out for something else or originally slated to be a PS2 title? For some reason, the name is VERY familiar to me, and not just from being a PS3 game.
I think there is a game called Drake of the 9 Dragons or something like that for the PS2 but it has nothing to do with Naughty Dogs game.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter
I think there is a game called Drake of the 9 Dragons or something like that for the PS2 but it has nothing to do with Naughty Dogs game.
Yeah. I know that game. For some reason I am thinking that Uncharted is based on a comic. No idea why, but I do.

I know that Drake of the 9 Dragons was supposed to be HORRIBLE. Hopefully this new game will break the curse of games with Drake in the title.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
The Continental
▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

I just don't see Singstar being the hit you seem to be predicting. The franchise has been on the PS2 for a while now and much of its success can be attributed to the massive install base of the PS2 itself. Yes it is a fun concept, yes the newly added features are great leap in the right direction, but it simply isn't the kind of game that appeals to hardcore gaming audience, and those are the only people who own a PS3 at the moment.

The Continental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
mister_slim
**** Killed the EvAv Star

I just want to froth about Ratchet & Clank some more.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR TOOLS OF DESTRUCTION!!

Anyway, has Insomniac said anything about how they plan to continue Ratchet & Clank/Resistance? I know they're working on Resistance 2, presumably for Fall 2008, but are they going to alternate R&C and Resistance, or will they produce R&C every year and Resistance on alternating years? I find it really hard to go a year with a R&C game.

mister_slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
copasetic
Reaper

I can't believe you guys don't remember 'Drake of the 99 Dragons.' It was right up there with Kabuki Warriors back in the early days of the Xbox.
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...2099%20dragons
copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
JCtheMC
Dread Lord

So... any decent third party exclusives coming out?

We'll find out after the nocturnal break.
JCtheMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
Heretic Machine
Peon

I really wish I had a PS3, just to play Eye of Judgment. That Folk's Soul game sounds pretty interesting as well. Lair and Heavenly Sword seem like decent filler, I guess, but I don't see them being the PS3's claim to fame. But what do I know, Heavenly Sword does get a lot of hype, could be incredible for all I know.
Currently Playing: Castle Crashers, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil
Heretic Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #16
Rafer
Evil Dead

I don't know what's happening with Eye of Judgement... the early demos were really neat in that the EyeToy showed your cards and table and would draw these dragons on top of them that you could move around with the cards. But the newer demos they've covered everything in so much cg you can't even see the cards and your hands look like shadows underneath the table, it's like you don't even need the EyeToy at all.
Rafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #17
mkelehan
Evil Dead

I can't wait to get some of these as Greatest Hits, when I'll have a PS3.
mkelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #18
Guy Mariano
Evil Dead

I just want these 2

Guy Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #19
Rafer
Evil Dead

Stuff is looking good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peench/...7600222561045/
Rafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #20
Siraris
Caunotaucarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_slim
I just want to froth about Ratchet & Clank some more.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR TOOLS OF DESTRUCTION!!

Anyway, has Insomniac said anything about how they plan to continue Ratchet & Clank/Resistance? I know they're working on Resistance 2, presumably for Fall 2008, but are they going to alternate R&C and Resistance, or will they produce R&C every year and Resistance on alternating years? I find it really hard to go a year with a R&C game.
I know the producer (or director) of R&C said that Ted Price is working on Resistance 2 and he is working solely on R&C. So maybe they are doing it in conjunction.