bapenguin
Beware of my Power Bands

[XBLA] - Omega 5 Review

Title: Omega 5
Platform: Xbox Live Arcade
MSRP: 800 MS Points
Editor: Nicholas 'bapenguin' Puleo

Omega 5

If you've ever played R-Type or Raiden you can get an idea of what Omega 5 is. Instead of a futuristic ship with crazy weapons you are a futuristic flying Japanese dude. Ok, so that's not the only difference. In fact, Omega 5 brings quite a few new game play elements to the SHMUP genre. With a variety of weapons, levels, challenge modes, and even download-able replays Omega 5 could just be a game shooter fans crave.

As the title suggests, Omega 5, puts you in the shoes of one of 4 characters. Wait...what? See apparently the 5th character in the game is a dog, and as far as I know this futuristic super laser mutt isn't playable. Each character in Omega 5 has 3 weapon types, and each weapon type has 3 upgradable levels. Some quick math puts this at 36 weapon possibilities, and that's not even counting their special alternate attack like Ruby's little lasso grappling dealy that latches on to enemies and deals damage. Some characters even have defensive style attacks like the 2nd default character, his attack allows you to deflect shots back at enemies. The variety of ways to deal and avoid damage in this 50MB game is very impressive.

The levels themselves in the game are gorgeous, with bright colors and some really slick visuals. While there's no lava level we got the other bases covered here with snow, jungle, and tech/space. The levels have great attention to detail, like your weapons melting the snow in the first level, or the water running off the trees in the 2nd. There's a good amount of action happening on the screen as well, with plenty of enemies of all sizes to kill. Of course there are boss battles, and each one has their own little trick to conquering.

In SHMUPs it's all about the score, and Omega 5 adds a few wrinkles here. You'll gain a multiplier by killing enemies in rapid succession, the multiplier maxes out at 10 and only lasts as long as you keep up the mayhem. This brings some strategy to the game. If you want to max out your score you'll want to let the screen fill up with as many enemies as possible, which of course makes it harder to survive. There's also a bomb attack which you gain by collecting little pink triangles. These triangles are conveniently expelled from enemies like pinatas at a 5 year old's birthday party. YAY CANDY! In the challenge modes you can save your replays and upload them along with your high score. You can also download any one's replay off the leaderboard.

Omega 5 is only 4 levels long, and playing from start to finish should take you about 30-40 minutes. Each play through will yield new unlockables like more characters (you start with 2). You even unlock rewards just for your time played, about 1 hour in you'll be able to have 5 continues instead of 3. The short time shouldn't deter you from picking up this game. There's a lot of depth here in bothreplayability and unlockables. There's a local co-op mode, but the lack of online co-op is SEVERELY disappointing. Omega 5 is an excellent addition to Xbox Live Arcade's library of shoot em ups.

Score:
4 out of 5

(About our Rating)

The Good:
+ Great visuals in a 50MB package
+ Tons of weapon options
+ lots of unlockables

The Bad:
- Only 4 levels
- Some levels get pretty cramped

The Ugly:
- No Online Co-Op

Last edited by bapenguin; 01-17-2008 at 08:07 AM..
bapenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 AM   #2
TrackZero
秘密のプロジェクト

Good review bap.

I really really wish there was on-line co-op for this one.
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
agentgray
Vroom Vroom

With online co-op, I would have considered it at 1200 points.

But alas, I've not considered it at all due to Microsoft dragging their feet with the Live issues and now that mum's the word.

I'll probably get it eventually. Excellent review, bap.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
Wyrm
Lord of Dreams

Needs online co-op, but I'll probably get it anyway to play with friends in home. I'm a sucker for shooters like this.

edit - Thanks for the review, always good to know what we're getting into.
Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Grimmjow
Deeeeeeeez Nutz!

I like the game but I think the scoring system is flawed, instead of a continue they should have given you an extra life. When you die and you have a high score it doesn't keep that score only as your high score unless you don't continue, if you continue it wipes it clean. I guess its always been like that for shooters but atleast you got to put up the high score you had before starting over.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
menage
Super Deformed Overlord

Good game. A bit tough in places though. Looks great and reminds me of the great SNES/genesis times. This DLC business is actually good for some genres. Aracde or PSn are ideal places for games like this.

currently playing: Fallout 3/Fable 2
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
ÜberJumper
Former Relic Stalker

I'll be using my free credit to pick this one up I think.
ÜberJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
51|RandoM
Banned

I bought it. Like it. Only complaint I have is that too much of the screen real estate is wasted on your character, and even that is just a matter of taste.
51|RandoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Torgo
Reaper

Yup, love this game so far. It definitely caught me by surprise, and exceeded my expectations.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Baron Samedi
Mundus Vult Decipi

Quote:
The Bad:
- Only 4 levels
- Some levels get pretty cramped
???

I wouldn't list these as bad. Most shmups only have 5 levels. 4 for a XBLA seems just fine. Also, cramped levels? O5 levels are not cramped compared to many other shmups.

Your combo multiplier can max out at 30 on the + mode. As for characters, R.A.D is essentially Ruby reskinned. I have yet to see different weapons for R.A.D. Sensei, the 4th character, is also annoying as shit, because his attack is his sword, which has him saying "Yah" every time he swings. Expect to mute the sound.

That said, the bosses in this game are very cool, if not very easy. As for co-op, well, I really don't like it. It clutters up the screen too much, and with all the fancy particle effects of the weapons, it can make it difficult to concentrate on the screen, moreso than most shmups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjow
I like the game but I think the scoring system is flawed, instead of a continue they should have given you an extra life. When you die and you have a high score it doesn't keep that score only as your high score unless you don't continue, if you continue it wipes it clean. I guess its always been like that for shooters but atleast you got to put up the high score you had before starting over.
I agree. It is so lame that your high score gets reset. It's also lame that the second level is arguable the hardest, and where you most likely to lose your high score.

Last edited by Baron Samedi; 01-17-2008 at 10:38 AM..
Baron Samedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #11
Grimmjow
Deeeeeeeez Nutz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaquinn View Post
???

I wouldn't list these as bad. Most shmups only have 5 levels. 4 for a XBLA seems just fine. Also, cramped levels? O5 levels are not cramped compared to many other shmups.

Your combo multiplier can max out at 30 on the + mode. As for characters, R.A.D is essentially Ruby reskinned. I have yet to see different weapons for R.A.D. Sensei, the 4th character, is also annoying as shit, because his attack is his sword, which has him saying "Yah" every time he swings. Expect to mute the sound.

That said, the bosses in this game are very cool, if not very easy. As for co-op, well, I really don't like it. It clutters up the screen too much, and with all the fancy particle effects of the weapons, it can make it difficult to concentrate on the screen, moreso than most shmups.

I agree. It is so lame that your high score gets reset. It's also lame that the second level is arguable the hardest, and where you most likely to lose your high score.
EXACTLY, the second level is crazy!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
ZeroOmegaZX
Monkey Giblets

Great spiritual Successor to Forgotten Worlds.... Speaking of that, they should bring that game to Live..

SHOW ME THE FREAKING ZENNY!
360 Gamertag: Zero0megaZX (thats a ZERO as the second O)
Steam ID: ZeroOmegaZX
ZeroOmegaZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #13
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Glad to see everyone likes this game. I've only gotten to the second level but it's a gorgeous game.

Has Trackzero beaten my score yet? Mwahaha.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #14
Baron Samedi
Mundus Vult Decipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Glad to see everyone likes this game. I've only gotten to the second level but it's a gorgeous game.

Has Trackzero beaten my score yet? Mwahaha.
Them fightin' words! But it may be my score you should be more worried about
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

Quote:
Them fightin' words! But it may be my score you should be more worried about
I'm not trying to beat other people's score. I just find it funny that for a while there, if not currently, I was beating Tracky's score despite my sucking so badly and not even being able to get past the first level.

PSN: Spigotsan
Gamertag: Guboo
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #16
Baron Samedi
Mundus Vult Decipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
I'm not trying to beat other people's score. I just find it funny that for a while there, if not currently, I was beating Tracky's score despite my sucking so badly and not even being able to get past the first level.
It's pretty easy to keep your 10x mulitplier going there at the end of the first, just before the second mech. That's like 300000 - 400000 easy.

EDIT

And, oh yeah, I've beaten the first boss in less than 5 seconds.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
Grimmjow
Deeeeeeeez Nutz!

Quote:
It's pretty easy to keep your 10x mulitplier going there at the end of the first, just before the second mech. That's like 300000 - 400000 easy.

EDIT

And, oh yeah, I've beaten the first boss in less than 5 seconds.
LIES! LIES and MORE LIES!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #18
Baron Samedi
Mundus Vult Decipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjow View Post
LIES! LIES and MORE LIES!

Here's how: When the first boss appears, start inside of him, rather than above him. As soon as you can attack him with your gun, super it twice in a row, and....laugh.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
Grimmjow
Deeeeeeeez Nutz!

Quote:

Here's how: When the first boss appears, start inside of him, rather than above him. As soon as you can attack him with your gun, super it twice in a row, and....laugh.
Let me try that, the fastest I killed him was around 8-10 secs.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
Adam Blue
BlueGamer.net

Yeah, I bought this last night. I hope it does well, I fucking love shmups.