[360, PS3] - Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 Review

Title: Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
Platform: 360, PS3
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal
Publisher: Ubisoft
MSRP: $59.99
Editor: Loren 'AgtFox' Halek

Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

In our Army of Two review we talked about how the biggest problem that game had was that Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 was coming out right around the corner. Well, now that game is out and all I can say is that this game is several factors better than Army of Two on the single-player, multiplayer and co-op sections. Basically that means that this game simply leaves that game in the dust.

Before I get any further I need to say that I never played the original Rainbow Six Vegas. A while ago when Rainbow Six 3 came out on the Xbox and when the original Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter on the 360 came out I was honestly not impressed by either game and kind of swore off all the Clancy games outside of the Splinter Cell games which I still thoroughly enjoyed. Nick (bapenguin) said I should look into this game (as well as GRAW 2) and see if I enjoy it more than I did in the past. Right from the first mission I could tell that either my tastes have changed or Ubisoft Montreal made this series so much better than I last remember it.

From my understanding the original Vegas game ended in a cliffhanger.
I hope to someday soon pick up that game and play through it, but it is sounding like this sequel won’t satisfy those people that played the first game since you play as a new character named Bishop. This game certainly jumps around in time. Your first mission takes place in France five years ago. Once you get through that you jump into the “present” day and are now in Vegas. I say “present” because the Rainbow Six games have generally been based in the near future and this game is no different.

Of course the storyline isn’t all that important, what’s important are the tactics you employ with the two AI soldiers in your team and the fact that the basic objective here is to kill all the terrorists as quickly as possible. There have been a number of changes from the original game as I understand it. You are now able to sprint forwards and sideways while also unloading your weapons. Even when you outfit yourself with gear that is more protective in nature than allowing you to be more mobile, the sprint comes in handy for reaching a cover area that is closer to your enemy quickly. The friendly AI of the other two soldiers has evidently been refined in this game as well. They may still make a mistake here and there, but I noticed that they were highly effective most of the time. Unlike the last game you are also able to gain experience while playing single-player as well as when you are playing the various online modes. The first game only allowed you to gain experience online, this one will allow you to go through the single-player campaign and take your rank and extras online (and vice versa) which is a nice change of pace.

The graphics in this game are quite nice and are built around the Unreal 3 engine, but I did notice a spot or two of minor slowdown on the 360 version of the game. I’m not sure what to attribute the slowdown to, maybe my 360 is acting up or something. I have to say it is quite cool to have the various kinds of cover and the fact that you can shoot through thin materials like a soldier could in real life. The cover system in this game is wonderful as well and even your AI soldiers use cover to the best of their abilities.

Playing the game in co-op story mode has its pluses and minuses.
From my understanding you could do 4-player co-op in the last game’s story mode, but this time around you are only able to play the story mode with 2 players in co-op. There is the option of playing 4-player co-op Terrorist hunt though. Playing 2-player co-op is quite fun and easily outdoes Army of Two simply because this game is more tactical and, most importantly, more fun. Along with the downgrade to the number of players there is also another minus that I noticed. Only one player can give orders to the two AI soldiers, the other player is basically there for the ride and has to rely on the commanding player to relay what they are going to do when they come upon a door or other blockade so you can be ready. This works out great if you play with someone that talks a lot or is a friend of yours, but if you’re playing with a stranger and you aren’t the commander of the AI troops it can be an interesting experience. The final plus of the 2-player co-op story mode is that you can drop in and out whenever you want and not have the game end when one person leaves the game.

The multiplayer side of the game contains a multitude of options, but a note needs to be made here. I’ve played only the 360 version of this game, but people with the PS3 version are obviously having a number of problems with the online mode which Ubisoft is supposedly working on to fix. With that out of the way, let’s talk about the modes available here. Attack and Defend is a game where one team is assaulting and one team is defending an object. Team Leader (my favorite) revolves around killing the other team’s leader while defending your own. You are able to spawn again as long as your Team Leader is alive, making this a pretty exciting option. Total Conquest should be pretty familiar to many game players out there. Your team has to collect all 3 satellite transmitters and hold them through the duration of a countdown. To round out the options you have Team Deathmatch and straight Deathmatch, neither of which needs explanation.

The game ships with 12 maps. Along with this you can also download an extra map via the Extras menu and logging into (or creating) your Ubisoft account which will allow you to download the Streets level. You can also unlock the Comcast Event map by putting in the password “Comcast Faster” (I put it in with the capitals and of course minus the quotes) when it prompts you. The game says you can find the password at the Rainbow Six website, but I didn’t find it there. In the end that makes a total of 14 maps and although the maps are relatively small when compared to maps in other games, the quantity and arguably the quality is quite nice in the end.

The nice thing about the multiplayer and co-op modes is that it is available on the 360 version via Xbox Live, System Link and split screen.
You can also play co-op through a private Xbox Live connection, which I am guessing means you can be on a local LAN and play the game with each other. Along with this you can also play the game with people from other countries. What this all adds up to is that Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 does everything right that Army of Two did wrong. Nice to have some multiplayer variety in your games, eh?

I would also like to note that some people in the forums (thread here) have talked about seeing glitches in the 360 version of the game. I personally didn’t see (or hear) these glitches as I played through the game. The only one I saw was an enemy rifle coming through a solid wall, but he was unable to shoot at me and vice versa. I’m not saying there aren’t glitches in the game, I just think everyone is having different experiences with the game and I wanted to point out that I personally haven’t seen many of the glitches talked about.

When all is said and done I was honestly impressed by Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 as both a single-player and co-op/multiplayer experience. I left these types of games behind long ago and this game makes me want to pick up the ones I’ve missed, including the original title of this series. Run out and buy this game, but don’t be surprised if you’re disappointed that this game doesn’t continue the story from the last one.

Score: 4 out of 5

(About our Rating)

The Good
+ The graphics
+ The co-op, although 2 player only, is top notch
+ The multiplayer is fun
+ You gain experience through both the single-player and online modes

The Bad
- Co-op story is only 2-player
- Only one person can command 2 AI soldiers in co-op

The Ugly
- The PS3 server problems at release

*Note - This review is based on the Xbox 360 version.
AgtFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
TDiddy
Evil Dead

I love this game, but am I the only one that thinks the graphics are ugly, especially in multiplayer? Not stopping me from playing, but it was a complete culture shock turning this on after playing CoD4.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
thomasc
Room 215

You went too easy on it.

I would've gone with a underneath this buggy expansion pack lies a great game.
thomasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
AgtFox
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasc View Post
You went too easy on it.

I would've gone with a underneath this buggy expansion pack lies a great game.
That's the thing, I never saw any bugs outside of the gun through a solid wall on one occassion.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 PM   #5
AgtFox
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiddy View Post
I love this game, but am I the only one that thinks the graphics are ugly, especially in multiplayer? Not stopping me from playing, but it was a complete culture shock turning this on after playing CoD4.
I think they look nice. They aren't CoD4 level, but then again I wasn't really thinking about even comparing the two.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM   #6
thomasc
Room 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgtFox View Post
That's the thing, I never saw any bugs outside of the gun through a solid wall on one occassion.
T-Hunt is full of them. When you're playing co-op in single player the bugs are more noticeable. Theres also the whole shooting through the terrorists never gets old.
thomasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
AgtFox
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasc View Post
T-Hunt is full of them. When you're playing co-op in single player the bugs are more noticeable. Theres also the whole shooting through the terrorists never gets old.
Well, the one I noticed is the only one noticed through all the gametypes (Terrorist Hunt, single-player, co-op, multiplayer). As I said in the other thread I link to in the review, everyone is having different experiences in the bugs/glitch realm. A number see a myriad of them, a number see very little.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
bone_matrix
Now with more Green!

AgtFox, its always a pleasure reading your reviews. You are one addition I am very glad they made.

Having said that, I wish you would have played the first game. It would have been easier for you to rate this game against that one, obviously. I liked the first game a lot, and this does feel the same. I knew that going it.

One thing I don't get though is that multiplayer graphics are toned down compared to single player. It was the same as the first game. Yet, you can look at COD4 and both single and multi are spectacular. What give Ubisoft? And 4 to 2 player coop single? Bastards.

I personally would have given it a 4, but thats why I don't do the reviews. The only bug I saw was in multi, the repeating gun shooting sound. Happened in the first game, then they fixed it. Now it might be back? Seriously?

In the end, I feel like Ubisoft could have done a bit more with the time they had. But it is still a kick ass game.
Boycotting a game over DRM is like cutting off your penis to boycott sleeping in the wet spot.
bone_matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #9
AgtFox
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone_matrix View Post
AgtFox, its always a pleasure reading your reviews. You are one addition I am very glad they made.

Having said that, I wish you would have played the first game. It would have been easier for you to rate this game against that one, obviously. I liked the first game a lot, and this does feel the same. I knew that going it.

One thing I don't get though is that multiplayer graphics are toned down compared to single player. It was the same as the first game. Yet, you can look at COD4 and both single and multi are spectacular. What give Ubisoft? And 4 to 2 player coop single? Bastards.

I personally would have given it a 4, but thats why I don't do the reviews. The only bug I saw was in multi, the repeating gun shooting sound. Happened in the first game, then they fixed it. Now it might be back? Seriously?

In the end, I feel like Ubisoft could have done a bit more with the time they had. But it is still a kick ass game.
I may end up giving it a 4...it kind of teeters on that edge. I gave it the extra half because I was honestly surprised by how much I enjoyed the game. Sorry I didn't play the first game, I was very turned off by Rainbow Six 3 and GRAW and kind of swore off both series until bap said I should try them again recently, so I took the chance on Vegas 2.

Only thing I can think of with the graphics (single versus multi) when compared to CoD4 is that CoD4 is built on its own engine whereas Vegas and Vegas 2 are built on the Unreal 3 engine. Does that forgive them for the downgrade when other Unreal 3 games like Gears of War don't see such a downgrade? No.

I will say that Ubisoft Montreal does have a track record of refining over rebuilding when they create a series of games in a row (Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six, etc.).

I think you've talked me into a 4 versus a 4.5 with this game. And thank you for the compliment in the first paragraph.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
Xijar
Death Knight

Now that I'm done with Army of Two, I'm considering picking this up, if only for the co-op (2 player is better than none). Not sure why PS3's server problems are labeled as both Bad and Ugly in the review though. Laziness or just oversight?
Xijar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:41 PM   #11
AgtFox
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xijar View Post
Now that I'm done with Army of Two, I'm considering picking this up, if only for the co-op (2 player is better than none). Not sure why PS3's server problems are labeled as both Bad and Ugly in the review though. Laziness or just oversight?
Well, if you can figure out another ugly I'd be happy to change it. I still haven't been able to think of one and maybe I'm just missing something obvious in that area.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #12
TDiddy
Evil Dead

Oh, and just so you know, the 4 player co-op in the original sucked. You literally just played the levels. No story, no cinemas, no pop-up videos explaining stuff. It was like t-hunt, but crappy.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:37 PM   #13
Sir Kodiak
Dread Lord

As someone who has considered picking up the first R6: Vegas but never got around to it, would people recommend going back and picking that one up or just playing this one? I'm just asking which is the better game, I'm already aware that the first one is available at a discounted price. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Sir Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 PM   #14
Deadend
Evil Dead

I personally enjoy the game.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 PM   #15
Disgustipated
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Kodiak View Post
As someone who has considered picking up the first R6: Vegas but never got around to it, would people recommend going back and picking that one up or just playing this one? I'm just asking which is the better game, I'm already aware that the first one is available at a discounted price. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Play the first one, then play the second and see the marvelous improvements. Both games are worth playing.
Disgustipated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 AM   #16
MrBibbz
Banned

I agree with bone_matrix AgtFox, you wrote an excellent review, and you gave the rating you believe the game deserved. It's always a good thing to have a new opinion on series than to have to argue minute comparison the first and second game.
MrBibbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #17
Food Nipple
Noise, Noise, Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone_matrix View Post

I've always been of the opinion that past experience with a series isn't important as long as you state you haven't played previous ones. Every viewpoint is valid, as long as you put your perspective into context. I know that people that played Vegas 1 are a bit less impressed with the game, but I know there were people who felt the same way about CoD4 having played the three prior games.

P.S. "map" should be pluralized in the first sentence of the eighth paragraph.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #18
II ZoiD II
WorthTheWait?

Maybe Im looking for too much here but I feel as thought the animations could be alot better. Also the characters faces really need improvement IMO. I guess we're all just getting use to better quality products or maybe its just me being biased. Im enjoying the game (just past the 2nd level) and I will say that Im really excited that they added leveling up to the SP campaign. I really dont do all that much MP when it comes to RS:V but I do enjoy me some Thunt and campaign. Great review keep em coming boys!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 AM   #19
Variable Gear
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDiddy View Post
Oh, and just so you know, the 4 player co-op in the original sucked. You literally just played the levels. No story, no cinemas, no pop-up videos explaining stuff. It was like t-hunt, but crappy.
That was fixed in Vegas 2. Check out this 1UP Show clip for proof.
Variable Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 AM   #20
AgtFox
Honored Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Food Nipple View Post
P.S. "map" should be pluralized in the first sentence of the eighth paragraph.
Thanks for the catch, something I missed. Fixed now.