Weekend Headbanger -...
Last post by BeardedSonOfNel
Yesterday 05:59 AM
17 Replies, 848 Views

Old 01-30-2006, 04:22 AM   #1
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

[Comics] - Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews - Year 2 - Week 5

Welcome to week five of Evil Avatar’s Weekly Comic Book Reviews.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week five is Hulk #91 courtesy of BCBcomics. The deadline of entry submissions for week five is midnight EST on Sunday, February 5th. The selection of the random winner for the February books will occur on Monday, February 27th. Click here to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname. Remember, you can submit one entry each week to increase your chances of winning.

If you’re tired of missing out on your regular or new comics then you’re in need of a reliable comic book subscription provider. Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway provider, BCBcomics offers comic book subscriptions with many fringe benefits including no hidden costs, 30-35% off of cover price (depending on the publisher), all issues are bagged and boarded and cheap* shipping on all orders (*see BCBcomics’ website for the details).

In addition, the comics featured on BCBcomics home page are 50% off or just $1 if you’re a subscriber.

Remember, these are NOT spoiler-free reviews.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Week Five:
Evil Avatar's Weekly Comic Book Reviews – Year 2 - Week 5
By Everlost_MI (Brian K. Nichols), Editor in Chief

Blackgas #1 of 3
Publisher: Avatar Press
Story: Warren Ellis
Artwork: Max Fiumara
Ink Assist: Sebastian Fiumara
Color: Andrew Dalhouse
Regular, Gore and Auxiliary covers: Jacen Burrows
Wrap, terror covers: Mike Wolfer
Editor: William Christensen
Price: $3.99 US/$4.58 CAN

The story revolves Tyler bringing his girlfriend Soo to meet his parents at their home on Smoky Island. However, Tyler is uncomfortable with his parents’ offer of letting the two of them sleep in the same room while visiting. So the couple hikes a few miles into the island around the bulge, a huge black rocky bump in the crust that dominates the island’s features, to a cabin the family owns. Along the way, the couple witnesses a brutal murder of a dog by one of the Doolans, the local family of known troublemakers, before running into Mr. Abraham. Abraham is the local self-proclaimed archeologist who gives the rundown to the two on the islands’ history. Smoky Island has been labeled as one of the great lost American colonies, as the first settlement was wiped out leaving only the bodies of the dead men, women and children to tell the tale of grisly dismemberment and being violated. Shortly after reaching the cabin, an earthquake at the bump releases black gas into the air in. This black gas infects anyone it touches and turns them into some type of zombie.

Warren Ellis has created an interesting story and cast of characters in this initial issue. The issue covers a lot of ground in a short amount of time, however the pacing does not feel rushed but rather an example of a well-told story without any additional padding. In addition, Ellis’ dialogue is excellent in helping the audience identify with the characters and creating an absorbing story. Max Fiumara’s artwork is an excellent fit for Ellis’ storyline and various bits are reminiscent of Mike Mignola’s artwork. However some of the work is inconsistent as the issue winds down. The inking provided by Sebastian Fiumara needs to be mentioned as it accentuates the atmosphere of the story and the artwork.

Bottom Line:
If you’re a Warren Ellis or horror/zombie fan, you’ll be doing yourself a disservice if you don’t pick this issue up. It’s got the enthralling stories and snappy dialogue that Ellis is known to create if he has complete control of a series as well as that original Evil Dead vibe to it.

Rating: 5 out of 5 EvilEyes

Nextwave #1 of 12
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Warren Ellis
Penciler: Stuart Immonen
Inker: Wade Von Grawbadger
Colors: Dave McCaig
Letterer: Chris Eliopoulos
Editor: Nick Lowe
Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

This series marks the rebirth of Marvel’s New Universe with Warren Ellis at the controls of the process. The details of this can be read in this article at Newsarama. Nextwave is a group of superheroes that have been put together under the premise to fight bizarre weapons of mass destruction under the guidance of the Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort (H.A.T.E.) which owned by the Beyond Corporation. However, things fall apart quickly as the group discovers that H.A.T.E. and Beyond Corporation are actually terrorist cells and have planned on using the bizarre weapons of mass destruction to kill off Nextwave. The first weapon that was unearthed to dispatch Nextwave is Fin Fang Foom, who happens to be a bit upset and is wearing purple underpants. Nextwave consists of Monica Rambeau (Pulsar but formerly known as Captain Marvel and Photon), Elsa Bloodstone, Aaron Stack (Machine Man), Tabitha Smith (Meltdown but formally known as Boom-Boom from X-Force) and The Captain (formerly Captain $%#!).

Warren Ellis’s enjoyment of freedom in reshaping Marvel’s New Universe shows from the premise of the story with the tongue-in-cheek references of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Nick Fury to the previous name and run-in The Captain had with Captain America. The characterizations are top shelf, for example the flashback to Monica’s childhood in handling a noisy dog as she tries to chastise Elsa for killing people even though the people in question are actually plant based robot humanoids. The dialogue is snappy and enjoyable with the various different character personalities mixing and clashing. Stuart Immonen’s artwork is what really makes Ellis’ story come to life. It’s more than an extension of Ellis’ script as it takes the story to another level by completely immersing the reading in the dynamic visuals that are reminiscent of the Star Wars: Clone Saga cartoon series. The superb use of colors by Dave McCaig match the tone of the script and artwork in an effort that puts the icing on the cake.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent issue that holds promise of a fun series for those who enjoy Warren Ellis or superhero team titles that are chucked full of action, sarcasm and wit. This issue is worth your time and money.

Rating: 5 out of 5 EvilEyes
Old 01-30-2006, 04:25 AM   #3
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

X-Men #181 (An ongoing series)
Publisher: Marvel Comics
Writer: Peter Milligan
Pencils: Roger Cruz
Inkers: Victor Olazaba with Don Hillsman III
Colorist: Chris Sotomayor
Letterer: VC’s Cory Petit
Editor: Mike Marts
Price: $2.99 US/$4.25 CAN

It’s sad to see how far the character of Polaris, Lorna Dane, has fallen since her role as the team leader of X-Factor. In any case, Polaris is a victim of the House of M fallout as she has lost her magnetic powers and left the X-Men. Havok, Alex Summers who’s Polaris’ on and off again boyfriend, left with her. After an encounter with the Sapien League led by the Leper Queen, who are hunting mutants whether they still retain their powers or not, the two flee in to the Costa Rica jungle. As they we’re escaping into the jungle they noticed a falling star and track it to discover Doop, last seen in the X-Static books. The issue opens with a teasing glimpse into Apocalypse beginning to shape his new plans for the world and the remaining mutants. Meanwhile, Polaris who still believes her loss of magnetic powers is psychological is enthralled with Doop or Daap as she calls him to the point of being fanatic, as she firmly believes she’s seen him in space and he can help restore her powers. Havok doesn’t believe this, especially when a sphinx with Apocalypse’s face is seen towering above where Doop/Daap landed. The Leper Queen reveals more of her origin to the guide that’s been help to track Polaris and Havok in the jungle before the guide meets his demise at the end of the Queen’s blade. The Queen finds the pair and takes Polaris hostage by knifepoint briefly before Havok knocks Polaris free with a small blast. Finally fed up with Doop/Daap, Havok blasts Doop/Daap into gooey pieces, which is shortly lived as Doop/Dapp begins to reform and fly off taking both Polaris and the Leper Queen with him. This issue also contained another short story of Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius.

Peter Milligan has crafted a rather boring and formulaic story that’s unfortunately typical for the main Marvel X-Men titles of late. The fanatic characterization of Polaris is rather interesting and could lead into her becoming one of Apocalypse’s new Horsemen. The dialogue and pacing is decent but nothing remarkable. The artwork created Roger Cruz is passable however in some of depictions, the characters are either too bland or over the top. For example, in various panels Polaris looks very disturbing as if she’s could swallow Doop/Daap whole with her disproportionate colossal mouth and saucer like eyes.

Bottom Line:
If you’re an X-Men fan who hasn’t been reading the series of late I wouldn’t recommend starting back up with this issue. Not only is it the second part of a storyline, it’s rather lackluster in both story and artwork. The saving grace of this issue was the return of Doop/Daap for those who have read the X-Force/X-Static books. In a parting shot, I found that I enjoyed the new story of Franklin Richards: Son of a Genius more the X-Men story.

Rating: 2 out of 5 EvilEyes

What else is worth reading this week…

· Spider-Man and the Black Cat #6 – Finally, the series ends with an old villain getting an interesting shot in the arm.

· Defenders #5 – Not as funny as the previous issues but still enjoyable. Hopefully Marvel will let Giffen, DeMatteis and Maguire come back for another limited or ongoing Defenders series.

Special thanks to the following:
Newsarama. for the Warren Ellis article regarding Nextwave.
Wikipedia for the information on the various Nextwave characters and Doop.
The Unofficial Handbook of the Marvel Universe for the Elsa Bloodstone link.

The Evil Avatar’s Comic Book Review Weekly giveaway for week five is Hulk #91 courtesy of BCBcomics. The deadline for week five entry submissions is Sunday, February 5th.

Click here to submit your entry and don’t forget to include your Evil Avatar screenname.

Remember, you can submit one entry per week to increase your chances of winning.

Last edited by Everlost_MI; 01-31-2006 at 03:44 AM..
Everlost_MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #4
thecrazyd

A zombie book by Warren Ellis that actually makes an Evil Dead referrence. I am so buying the crap out of the entire series.

Also, Nextwave is really awesome in a wacky fun kind of way. I look forward to the next release.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #5
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrazyd
A zombie book by Warren Ellis that actually makes an Evil Dead referrence. I am so buying the crap out of the entire series.

Also, Nextwave is really awesome in a wacky fun kind of way. I look forward to the next release.
I don't want to mislead you or anyone else, there isn't an actual Evil Dead reference. It just has the vibe of the original movie.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:38 AM   #6
thecrazyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlost_MI
I don't want to mislead you or anyone else, there isn't an actual Evil Dead reference. It just has the vibe of the original movie.
No, there is an Evil Dead reference. When they leave the cabin, Tyler says "This is my boomstick." I guess it is an Army of Darkness reference, but close enough. I already got it.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
Cupelix
One Man Wrecking Machine

Isn't Nextwave in the main Marvel U? The upcoming New Universe project from Ellis is called Newuniversal (that's the last working title, at least). That's according to the article you linked to, and from my memory, the New Universe consisted of a completely different set of characters and was not connected to the 616 universe.
Cupelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
bardockkun
Evil Dead

How in the hell did i miss Doop in anything? Jesus christ im not looking hard enough at my comic store if im missing a cover with Doop on it. Also a bit ironic we were talking about Doop a few weeks ago and he makes his non-publicized return on the lackluster X-Men comic as opposed to Dead Girl. So for that i have to say thanks Everlost, now i need to get another comic to get some Doop awesomeness.

Also you gave X-Men 4 evil eyes and not two like the review said.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 AM   #9
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupelix
Isn't Nextwave in the main Marvel U? The upcoming New Universe project from Ellis is called Newuniversal (that's the last working title, at least). That's according to the article you linked to, and from my memory, the New Universe consisted of a completely different set of characters and was not connected to the 616 universe.
My understanding was it's whatever Ellis decides it to be, he's making and breaking the rules as he goes. *shrug*
Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Everlost_MI
Sleep Deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardockkun
How in the hell did i miss Doop in anything? Jesus christ im not looking hard enough at my comic store if im missing a cover with Doop on it. Also a bit ironic we were talking about Doop a few weeks ago and he makes his non-publicized return on the lackluster X-Men comic as opposed to Dead Girl. So for that i have to say thanks Everlost, now i need to get another comic to get some Doop awesomeness.

Also you gave X-Men 4 evil eyes and not two like the review said.
Thanks for the heads up on my error, it's fixed and you're welcome about spending more money.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 AM   #11
Spigot
By Baldur's Butt-Light!

That Doop cover just creeps me out.
Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #12
Kefkataran
Die trying

Quote:
This series marks the rebirth of Marvel’s New Universe with Warren Ellis at the controls of the process. The details of this can be read in this article at Newsarama. Nextwave is a group of superheroes that have been put together under the premise to fight bizarre weapons of mass destruction under the guidance of the Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort (H.A.T.E.) which owned by the Beyond Corporation. However, things fall apart quickly as the group discovers that H.A.T.E. and Beyond Corporation are actually terrorist cells and have planned on using the bizarre weapons of mass destruction to kill off Nextwave. The first weapon that was unearthed to dispatch Nextwave is Fin Fang Foom, who happens to be a bit upset and is wearing purple underpants. Nextwave consists of Monica Rambeau (Pulsar but formerly known as Captain Marvel and Photon), Elsa Bloodstone, Aaron Stack (Machine Man), Tabitha Smith (Meltdown but formally known as Boom-Boom from X-Force) and The Captain (formerly Captain $%#!).
Didn't catch this till now for some reason, but actually Nextwave is in the main Marvel U. The New Universe relaunch is happening later this year, and yes, Ellis will be at the head, but these are all Marvel U characters and this takes place in the normal universe and, as far as has been said, in continuity.